Chapter 1

Roseanne didn't like conflict. She would do anything to avoid it, even if it meant going overboard. She also had an unhealthy tendency of having flings, because actual relationships bring conflict and of course, she didn't want that.

"So, we're doing this again?"

Roseanne looked at her company for a moment. "Sure."

"Are you sure?" The man asked. He was cute, but Roseanne thought he wasn't her type. She only said yes because he was there. And he was available. Or perhaps because Roseanne was horny and needed a release after work.

Roseanne realized he was still waiting for an answer so she nodded. She didn't know why she agreed. Or why she even bothered.

"Alright," Mark, she remembered, said. "Call me."

Roseanne only nodded. The man began to get dressed and grabbed his stuff – his briefcase, an expensive-looking watch and shoes. He looked good in his work suit, and Roseanne considered doing it again with him next time.

"Actually," Mark stared at her body a bit longer. Roseanne didn't mind. "Do you want to like, get coffee sometime?"

Roseanne was silent. No next time then.

"Well?" Mark waited.

"I'll call you," Roseanne said after a moment.

"You better," Mark grinned. He leaned in and kissed her, and Roseanne kissed back. He still tasted like vodka, but she liked it. She actually liked kissing. Kissing was easy. It was good and didn't have to be complicated.

Mark pulled away and stared at Roseanne. "I need to go," he whispered.

Roseanne nodded.

"Promise you'll call?"

Roseanne hummed. Mark looked like he was unsure. He stared at her, as if waiting for a better response. One that would appease him. Men like Mark need assurance.

"I'll be busy," Roseanne said. It was a lie. It was just one of those white lies where you can get away with it. Roseanne lied often, but only if she needed to.

"But whenever youe free, you'll call right?" Mark said. Roseanne almost felt bad.

But Roseanne didn't like conflict.

"Sure." Roseanne said. Mark smiled, looking relieved and left. Just like that. Roseanne thought it was nice. A simple exit. Nothing attached. She should feel bad. She shouldn't be leading anyone on.

Roseanne realized Mark didn't give out his number. He probably forgot, and assumed he had already given her his number. Or perhaps, Mark saved his number in her phone when she wasn't looking. She thought it was intrusive, but then, she'd just delete it he actually saved something.

Roseanne checked her phone and scrolled. There was no new contact. No new number added in. No sign of Mark.

Roseanne was relieved.

* * *

Roseanne heard the door open, followed by a voice she could identify in a second. It was her neighbor, Lisa. She had a distinctive voice, one that she could spot even in a crowd.

"Dude, where'd you go last night?"

Roseanne shrugged.

"I've been trying to reach you but you seemed busy. What? Fucking?"

Roseanne grinned. "Liar."

"What?"

"No missed calls from you."