10. Avoiding Leaving Them Behind

I scream out as Sam falls to the ground, Kirsty still pulling on my arm to leave, the Doctor catching up to us with Jane in his arms.

Kirsty gives up as the Experiments approach faster and faster. I run to Sam, looking him in his pained eyes. He stares at me with eyes that beg me to leave him, the scene in front of me blurs from the overflow of tears coming from my eyes.

"Sam..." I whine, my voice cracking. He just grunts as he lies on the ground, his breathing hard.

"Loni! We have to go! Sam would want you to be safe!" Kirsty screams behind me, standing next to the doctor. She says it as if he's already gone. No. I refuse. My fingers put pressure around the area of the arrow, his white shirt turning a sickening shade of crimson. He'll live. I know he will, right? I cup his pained face with my free hand, my other hand being covered by blood. An arrow whizzes past me, hitting the asphalt. I hold onto Sam's weak hand as moaning comes from the Experiments. I wrap my arms around him, crying into his shoulder.

I knew it. He's going to die. The only man who loved me. His eyes are already loosing their light...

"L-loni... Be," he grunts, "sa-" Sam tries to get out be safe, but his head falls to the side, his eyes closing.

"N-no... NO!" I scream out, pulling his head to my chest, he remains limp as I cry over his pale face. Blood pools around us, something I only noticed now. My heart pounds in my chest as the Experiments approach and the only thing I have is a gun. I guess I could try it instead of a bow. I stand up in frustration, putting the gun out in front of me. I scream as I aim and shoot at the idiots that started this mess. They-they KILLED Sam! Those sons of bitches! Boom... One falls down... Boom... Two fall down... The front line of the army of Experiments fall in slow motion as tears slip off my chin. I shake my head, turning on my heel back to Sam. My arms wrap underneath his body and I pull up. Suddenly, I duck down, just barely avoiding an arrow that whizzes past like a torpedo. I gasp in relief, putting my hand over my mouth. Why? This questions echoes in my head. I breathe hard, still trying to pull Sam up.

Suddenly, an Experiment comes behind me, gnarls its teeth as I dodge the blow. Before I know what his true intentions were, he bites into Sam's shoulder. My hand involuntarily reaches behind me for an arrow, but then my left hand reaches towards the gun. I pull my arm up and my finger jolts on the trigger. I end up shooting five times, each time cocking it and firing while yelling for the son of a bitch to get off Sam. On the fifth shot to the head the Experiment collapses and slides off of Sam. I grab Sam's lifeless body and carry it in my arms. I run to the side of the airport to catch up with Kirsty and the doctor. Kirsty attempts to reach into Sam's pocket, but I stop her, growling from the back of my throat.

"Really? Are you going to pick-pocket a dead man?! Are you that low?!" I yell as we run to the parking lot.

"No! No Loni! He has the keys to the car. I'm afraid the only way to get in the car is the keys and that's in Sam's left pocket," Kirsty looks at me with a look of knowing.

I shake my head as she reaches into his pocket and pulls out keys. Everyone piles into the jeep, Jane sitting next to the doctor and Sam's body laying across Kirsty, Jane and the Doctor's laps.

"He's already dead! Why are we bringing his body?" the doctor leans away from Sam while Kirsty whacks the doctor in the head. Kirsty gives him a look like you don't ask people why they want to hold onto their loved ones body.

I slide into the driver's seat and pull out quickly, an arrow shattering the back window. Kirsty squeals as a piece of glass edges into her shoulder. She cries out, holding the piece of glass, her pink phone falling to the ground, a true sign she's in pain. I spin the wheel around, glancing back to the back seat, my eyes catching Sam's closed ones.

My eyes continue to drift off the road to check on Sam's body, as if he will magically wake up and kill all the Experiments. That's still a possibility, right?

My foot presses on the gas as a massive crowd of traffic jams the road. I pull off to the side, continuing to zoom by the traffic. I roll my window down to the others. One lady looks at me and rolls down hers too.

"What can I help you with?" she says nonchalantly.

I look at her firmly, "You need to tell anyone you see or know that they need to get ready. Hell is coming," she gives me a weird look. Her confused glance was answered by an arrow that breaks my backing mirror.

"Oh my God!" she screams, looking back to the approaching army of Experiments. Her kids in the back of her van begin to scream and ask questions.

My eyes scan the kids that sit in the back. My heart melts at their sweet faces, "Please! Follow us," I say, looking at her sternly.

She nods her head, pulling her car behind ours. I continue to drive on.

"Are you going to let them stay with us?" Kirsty asks.

"They have children! They need to be safe. I-I don't know if I could live with myself if I let them be left behind," I say.

The Doctor looks out the broken back window, "What about the rest? Hm? It's not like you can save everyone."

I shake my head. I may not be able to save everyone, but I have to try.