Split up -Daryl Dixon

'Get behind me!' Daryl growled, grabbing Y/N's wrist and pulling hard, making her stumble. She ripped her hand from his grasp and picked up her gun, shooting a walker that was behind them, then another two. She heard Daryl curse and fire his crossbow, quickly reloading it. She had no idea how he did it so quickly, she nearly always injured herself when she tried.
Y/N's clip emptied and she reloaded, taking down another four walkers before the two were in the clear. She quickly stowed her gun in its holster, waiting for the inevitable shit-storm brewing inside of Daryl.
He threw his bow on the ground and clenched his hands into fists, his knuckles white.
'What the hell...' Y/N was shocked at this response. Daryl usually gutted her out when she did anything remotely risky, but now he seemed to be holding himself back. He turned and Y/N could tell he was poker facing, but the pain in his eyes was there. He grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her close, holding her tightly to his chest.
'Stop being such an idiot,' he mumbled into her hair. Harsh, almost cruel words, but Y/N could tell he meant them with love. She tightened her arms around his waist in response.
'You knew what you were in for when you met me,' she said, pulling back and draping her arms around his neck.
'If only,' Daryl said, leaning down and planting a kiss on Y/N's lips. 'C'mon, let's find some shelter.'
'Mm, and some alcohol.'
'Only the best.'
The pair found a house just before dusk, and old rundown one that reminded Daryl a lot of where he used to live. Y/N knew that overnight, staying in this house might cause something inside Daryl to snap, to be angered at the life he'd led, but she also knew she was safe. Sure, she'd suffer the occasional outburst from Daryl, but he would never hurt her.
'God, this place is a dump,' Daryl muttered, kicking a wooden crate, making it topple over.
'But look at what we have here,' Y/N said, leaning down and pulling up a box of what seemed like homemade moonshine. She placed it on the old dining table and popped open a jar, taking a whiff. 'Whoa, that's the good stuff! Want some?'
Daryl watched Y/N take a sip of the clear, innocent looking liquid. She grimaced and puckered her lips. She then shrugged and took another swig.
'Nah, better not,' Daryl said, shaking his head. Y/N cocked her head and looked at him curiously.
'Why not? It's not the greatest thing ever, but it'll work for sure,' she said, taking a third try. It didn't taste any better, but she could feel the effects immediately.
'Just, you know how I get when I drink,' Daryl said. He needed to stay sober if he was going to be alert enough to protect Y/N at a moment's notice.
'You get real when you drink, c'mon, just have a sip,' Y/N said, holding out the jar for him. Daryl frowned and knocked the jar from her hand, sending it crashing to the floor.
'I said no! You think now's a good time to drink? Everyone could be dead!' Y/N flinched, but she should've seen him snapping a mile off.
'Daryl, I'm sure that's not true. We've just got to get our wits together and then work out how to find them. You need to calm-'
'No! I do not need to calm down! We could be the only people alive, and I could've prevented all of this shit!'
'Daryl, what are you-'
'SHUTUP! You can't just think it'll all work out in the end, you're full of shit!' Y/N took a step back, distancing herself further from Daryl. This was a new outburst. He'd never told her to 'shutup', let alone everything else.
'Daryl, stop, you're scaring me.'
'Oh, you're scared? Maybe you should learn not to be so fucking weak and step up! You can't even use a damned crossbow! You know what, maybe it's time you learned, let's go,' he snarled, taking two huge steps forward and grabbing Y/N around the waist, leading her out the door, picking up his crossbow as he went.
They got outside and he shoved it into her arms, giving her an arrow.
'Load it!' he demanded. Y/N stared at him, her fear clouding her ability to stand up to him. She leaned the bow on the ground and put the arrow in place, pulling back he string. She felt as though it was cutting into her hands and stopped.
'Daryl, I can't, can we just go back inside? Please,' Y/N said looking at Daryl's burning eyes.
'You're not even trying,' he said, rounding her. He pressed himself behind her and grabbed her hands, making them close around the line, then he pulled.
'Stop, Daryl- OW STOP IT!' Y/N yelled, pulling back and escaping from Daryl's grip, stumbling and landing on her back. She stared down at her hands, which were covered in blood from a horizontal cut across both her palms. Her hands began to shake and she stared up at Daryl, terrified of how far his outburst was going.
Daryl stared down at Y/N, guilt filling him. She'd never looked at him in fear before, let alone been scrambling backwards to get away from him.
'They're all dead, everyone's dead, and know I'm gonna lose you,' he said, dropping to his knees. Y/N watched him for a moment, wondering if the storm had passed, if it was safe to venture again. Daryl rubbed his face, and Y/N knew he was crying. She stood and walked over to him cautiously, crouching down next to him. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pulled him towards her. He turned his head and buried it into her shoulder, leaning on her.
'It's okay, it's going to be okay,' Y/N assured him, rubbing his back with her fists, trying not to get blood on him. 'But if you make me bleed again, it's not going to be okay.' Daryl scoffed and lifted his head, taking her hands and opening them. He grimaced at the cuts, closing her hands into fists.
'I'm so sorry,' he mumbled, holding her hands to his chest and kissing her knuckles. 'Let's go back inside, I'll fix you up.' He and Y/N stood, heading back to the house.
Daryl lifted Y/N up and propped her on the table, tearing a shirt he found in half, and using it as a bandage. He was delicate and gentle, not once hurting her. He finished and held her hands, pressing his forehead to hers.
'I think now would be a good time for some more of that moonshine,' Y/N murmured, and Daryl smiled softly, planting a kiss on her forehead.
'I think so.'