I looked at Shane, who’s eyes were on me.
“Um…thanks for the ride…but I’ll walk. I have to…”I trailed off.

“Mia, please, just let me drive you home. You don’t need to be hanging out with him. He will only hurt you.” Shane mumbled.

I sighed. “Ok.” I said.

He led me outside, and I took one last fleeting look to where Luca had disappeared down the hall.

Why are you looking for him? He means nothing to you. I told myself.

On the way home, Luca had turned up the radio station. I heard a familiar beat, I grinned widely and cranked it up.

“Hey Princess in a white dress, chuck taylors, got me obsessed…” I sang with Allstar Weekend.

“You like Allstar Weekend?” Shane asked.

“Yeah and One Direction. They are two of my favorite bands.” I said.

“Mine too. And Stella’s. Jess likes One Direction.” He smiled.

We sang the whole way to my house. I was happier than I had been all day.

We pulled into my driveway and I turned down the radio.

“Thanks for everything. If you want you can come inside…my mom isn’t home but I’m sure I can manage to cook something…” I grinned.

“Ugh. I want to but my mom will freak, maybe sometime later…if that’s ok.”

“Sure. Thanks again.” I said and I slid out of his truck.

When I was inside, everything was quiet. My mom certainly wasn’t home. I sat on the couch and started my homework. The words and numbers slowly made me drift off to sleep.

“Mia.”

I turned over and groaned.

“Mia.”

No no no let me sleep.

“Amelia Nichols, get up.”

I bolted upright when I recognized my mom’s voice.

“What happened to you?” She gasped.

I forgot. I had never taken a shower and I was still covered in dry paint.

I sighed. “It’s a long story.”

“Mia. What the hell happened?” My mom said, sitting next to me.

“Ummm, it’s a long story…” I started.

“Spit it out Mia…” She sighed and rubbed her temples.

“Ok.” I shakily started.

She listened as I told my story. When I was finished she sighed again.

“Mia…It was your first day of school…”

“But Mom! I made some friends too! Stella, Jessica, Shane, Ty, Carter, and Andrew!” I exclaimed.

“What about this Luca guy?” She asked.

“He’s a total player mom. Who got me in trouble. I have a detention slip for you to sign and I have to serve it tomorrow.” I said.

“Mia, give it to me. I have something to tell you…” She said.

“Yeah Mom?” I said absentmindedly as I handed her the slip.

“Well, I have this case but it’s all the way in Maine, so I’ll be gone for about 4 days maybe 5. Can I trust you to not throw any parties and be responsible?”