chapter 1 - icu

chapter 1: icu

                                                   Laying down on the lawn

I'm tired of trying to get in the house

✧༺♥༻∞

November 4, 1983

A breeze of crisp autumn air filters through the open bedroom window, as the alarm clock blares its annoyingly loud sound. Julie Hill stirs in her half-awake state to stretch an arm to stop the alarm. After several unsuccessful attempts to shut off the clock's noise, she begrudgingly decides to unplug it from the wall, all without getting out of bed. With half-shut eyes, Julie extends her hand towards the outlet, and just starts to yank the clock's cord. When Julie's elbow hit the side of her bed suddenly, she knew she had to forfeit this battle against the alarm clock, and accept defeat. With pain unbearable to manage, Julie chaotically rolls out of bed and lands on her back. On the cold wooden floor clutching her elbow, Julie lies still. "What a wonderful start to the day." Julie sarcastically mutters as the alarm continues to sound in the background.

Still emotionally and physically reeling from this morning's battle, Julie gets ready for the school day. She puts on a pair of light-washed jeans, an off-white t-shirt, and a thick brown jacket, a jacket given to her by her dad, before he left to "find himself", but it really just meant that he wanted to go someplace where he could continue his party lifestyle without the judgemental stares from his daughter. Julie tops the outfit off with her infamous tattered black high top converse, that truly have been through the thick of it.

After quickly running a brush through her hair, Julie heads down the hall and into the kitchen to grab some breakfast. As Julie pours her cereal into a bowl, a scratchy voice calls out "Why are you awake". Patricia Hill. The bane of Julie's existence. A woman who Julie has tried to get along with, or at least tolerate, but the woman's love seems to be reserved for men and beer only. As much as Julie pretends not to care, her mother's distaste for her does hurt. Just a little. Or maybe a lot. Depends on the day.

"I have school." Julie unemotionally replies as she continues to prepare her cereal.

".....School? It's Saturday."

Fed up already, Julie turns to face her mother. Dressed in a pair of jeans and a button up shirt 3 sizes too big, with last night's makeup still etched on her face, Patricia Hill leans against the doorframe with a "know-it-all" smirk.

"No.....no it's not. It's Friday and I'm pretty sure that means you have work today." Julie frustratingly breathes out. Looking up at that clock, one of the only appliances that still works in this god-forsaken house, the time reads 7:23 am. "Actually, I'm pretty sure that means you have work in about 40 minutes." Julie adds mockingly.