Sunset on Bag-End

Sam looked upon Frodo in the sunset light, the warm beams setting his face all a glow

"We've made it Mr.Frodo. At long last perhaps we can have our peace 'ere."

"Yes Sam, I do think it's time" Frodo sighed, turning to look at Sam's face..

On the hill they stood, the warm golden glow of the sun litting up all the valley below. Flowers blossoming and trees swaying, the sweet scent of summer filling the air.

Frodo slipped his hand into Sams, interlocking their roughened fingers. With a gentle smile Frodo led them down the hill and along to Bag-End, which looked much the same as when they left, except for the garden.

"Looks like I'll have my hands full here, just look at the petunias!" Sam exclaimed with a slight chuckle, gesturing roughly to the distressed garden.

"They'll be plenty of time for that," Frodo interjected with a stifled snort of laughter.

"Come, come! Let's get inside before it gets dark." Frodo said as he tugged the larger hobbit on and through the rounded door, shutting it gently behind them.

They paused for a moment and gazed into the dim house, the place they had dreamed of returning to all this time.

Frodo turned to Sam and pulled him closer, making both their heart beats rise.

With soft eyes Sam looked at his master who was altogether too close, but he couldn't bear to pull away. Not now, not ever again.

"My Sam" Frodo breathed, raising a slim hand to Sam's cheek cupping it lovingly. Frodo looked searchingly into the others' deep brown eyes for a while.

The tensions between them grew as Sam moved closer still until their bodies touched, reaching a protective arm around Frodo's waist, their faces only inches apart. Each felt the warm breath of the other as they stared knowingly into eachothers weary eyes.

The moments of peril, loyalty and love all flashed between them, the grandness of their adventure together coming finally full circle to this very moment.

"I'm yours if you'll 'ave me sir, forever and always, you need only say the words" Sam said hesitantly looking down for a moment.

"Sam" Frodo whispered shaking his head slightly

"I would be nothing without you... my sunbeam in the darkest hour, my air in the deepest oceans, my dearest and most wonderful friend. Of course I would have you, a thousand times yes I would but only if you shall have me as I am now, deeply flawed and burdensome..."

"Frodo..." Sam whispered shakily, sniffing back a tear.

"You may be many things Frodo Baggins but a burden to me you have never been. I'd do all we've done together again, to Mordor and back if you said the word. And, I'd do it gladly because yes, I would have you Frodo Baggins, as you are now and how you will be tomorrow and the morrow after and everyone after that"

"Cuz' I love you more than anyone or anything, and i'm not sure how much that's worth coming from a lowly hobbit such as myself but it's whats I've got to give and I'm giving it."

Frodo rested his forehead against Sams before finally closing the gap with a tender kiss.

"It's worth more than you'll ever know Samwise Gamgee. You are the bravest most wonderful hobbit I've ever known and I love with all my heart, as you are now and as you will be forever and always... "

With the soft beams of light dancing through the dustened widows, the two tiresome hobbits embraced. Hugging tightly as if to never let go again in fear of the other being taken. Each with moistened cheeks from joyful tears, they pulled themselves apart after what seems like an age but to them still nowhere near long enough.

"Let's get to dinner making Mr. Frodo, can't be having you missing out now can we?" Sam said half chucking while sniffing through the last of the tears.

"No I suppose we can't can we?" Frodo replied with a chuckle as he linked hands gently once more before leading on to the familiar old kitchen.

The light of the sun, only now started to fade, giving way for the stars to take their place and to bring the peaceful night to Bag-End.

-The end-