Ch 10 - Charlotte

Start from the beginning

"She isn't fine." Grandpa added. I glared at him in response. "She had the barfs, in the kitchen. She's barely eating, Jason. You can't say your doctor senses aren't tingling."

"Unfortunately, Dad, I'm not Spiderman." Danny and I chuckled at Dad's words. "But she does have a serious fever. Come on, kiddo. Let's go to the office-"

"After dinner." Grandpa insisted, cutting him off. When Dad glanced at me, I nodded. "She needs to eat."

"Ok. After dinner." Everyone watched me throughout dinner. And when I got up to go to the bathroom, Danny was there, helping me out of my seat.

"I'm not disabled." I insisted, trying to jerk my arm out of Danny's grip.

"Charlie, you look like you're going to pass out." I frowned, and moved to go around him. I don't remember making it around him, or to the bathroom.

I woke up as Dad wrapped the blood pressure cuff around my arm. We were at his office in an exam room.

"Hey, kid." He started when he noticed I was awake. "You took a pretty hard swan dive." I turned at the sound of the door opening and frowned when I saw it was Grandpa.

"Figured I'd come check on you." He started, crossing his arms over his chest as Dad started the blood pressure cuff. "Jason-"

"Grandpa." I cut him off, knowing exactly what he was about to say. He was going to tell Dad what he suspected, and I didn't need that dilemma right now.

"What, Dad?" Dad asked, not noticing the stare off. He was too busy checking the screen. When Grandpa didn't answer, Dad glanced up at him.

"I think we should cut back the classes in the new year." He narrowed his eyes at me. "And I think it's time Charlie give up Friday Night Fights-"

"No way!" I stood from the bench, stumbling at the weak feeling in my legs.

"You can't even stand up straight!" Grandpa accused.

"You can't do this!" Dad took a step back, startled at the anger in our tones.

"What's going on, Dad?" He pressed, turning the machine off when it started blaring at my high blood pressure. "Charlie? What aren't you two telling me-"

"Nothing." I snarled.

"She might be pregnant." Grandpa confessed.

"Grandpa!" Dad didn't say anything for a few minutes.

"If she is, it's your son's fault." Dad finally answered when he spoke.

"Zane?" I flinched at the tone in his voice. "I'm going to-"

"Dad, you can't." Dad started, moving to stop Grandpa from leaving the room.

"He knocked up my little girl, and you want me to what? Let it go? Not when he's got that blond viper sitting at my dinner table every Sunday night!" Whoa, I'd never heard Grandpa talk about someone with that much hatred before. "I will-"

"He can't know, Dad." I frowned at the look they shared. They knew something they weren't telling me. "It would only make things worse for Charlie. Zane can't ever know she's pregnant." I took a step back at the tone of his voice.

"I-"

"We'll just hide it as long as we can." Dad started when they both turned to look at me. "Let's check first, to make sure before we work ourselves up."

Ten minutes later, the test was positive. The ride back to Grandpa's house was quiet. Apparently when I'd passed out, Grandpa had been the first out of his seat and he barely managed to catch me before I hit the floor. He'd carried me out to the truck and rode with Dad to the office so they could check on me.