Chapter 4- trick or treat

Hopper was cooking breakfast and ranting about your unsafe driving from yesterday while you sat on the couch.

"And I don't want you hanging out with that Californian boy." He said, finishing his sentence.

You had barely been listening to him, tuning out his words while reruns of Charlie's Angels played on the television, but you quickly spun around when he mentioned Billy.

"What?"

"That Hargrove kid. I've seen him around town, better yet, I've heard him around town with that car. I don't want you hanging out with him, that boy is trouble."

"You don't even know him." You pointed out causing Hopper to glance over his shoulder at you with a frustrated expression.

"I know his type and I know you were with him that day you skipped class."

"How the fuck do you know that?"

"Language." He warned, glaring at you. "I'm the Chief of Police, I know things."

You rolled your eyes and folded your arms across your chest before turning to face the television. Hopper could say whatever he wanted because it wasn't like you were actually going to listen to him.

A few minutes later, El walked out of her bedroom and you grinned when you saw her wearing the ghost costume that you had helped her make last night while Hopper was still at work. It was just a white sheet with two holes cut out for her eyes, but the girl seemed thrilled when you helped her make it.

"Ghost." El said, standing behind Hopper in the kitchen who stared at her a second before grabbing the saucepan from the stove.

"Yeah, I can see that."

"Halloween."

"Sure is." He replied, walking over to the small kitchen table and serving up what looked to be French Toast. "But, right now, it's breakfast, okay? Come on, let's eat. Y/N, food."

"Not hungry." You muttered, still staring at the tv.

"You need to eat."

"You haven't cared if I ate breakfast for the last six years, don't try and pretend that you care now."

Hopper sighed, "really? You want to do this, right now? Just eat the damn toast before you go to school."

You didn't get up off the coach, but you could feel Hopper glaring at you before he seemed to give up and he sat down at the table to start to eat himself.

"They wouldn't see me." El continued to say, going to back to costume.

"Who wouldn't see you?" Hopper asked.

"The bad men."

"What are you talking about?"

"Trick or treat."

There was a brief pause of silence before Hopper asked, "you want to go trick-or-treating? You know the rules."

"Yes, but-"

"Yeah, so, you know the answer."

"She's a kid, Hopper. Let her go, nobody will see her. I can take her." You said, wanting anything to be able to get the house while you were grounded even if it meant walking El around Hawkins for candy.

"Yes, Y/N can take me." El agreed.

"No. Nope. Not happening, your sister is grounded."

"Grounded?" El repeated in confusion.

"Grounded. It means she's in very serious trouble and is not allowed to leave the house unless it's for school and school only." Hopper answered, pointily looking at you as he spoke.