2. Curiosity

~Thirteen years later~

"Come on Star let's go faster!" Skyla, now eighteen years old, yelled over the wind. Starlight roared and accelerated forward with her rider holding onto the head spikes tightly. The wind whistled in her ears and she felt her adrenaline was increasing. The mountains came into view and Skyla knew she would get into great trouble if she didn't stop in time.

"WHOA STOP!" Starlight came to a full stop, stopping inches from the boundaries of the sanctuary. Valka allowed them to roam wherever they wanted but she set boundaries for them. They never dared to go past it. Star hissed and flicked her tail with anxiety.

"It's okay girl we don't need to go any farther than this." Skyla said stroking her friends head and turning her around. "Who cares what's up ahead?"

Despite what she had said, Skyla secretly dreamed of seeing what was past the boundaries. She yearned to meet other humans. She had no contact with any other human other than her mother. She never seen another male human before and she was curious about all humans. Whenever she asked her mother Valka would give her the same reply over and over: "The world's a dangerous place out there for us. No one will ever appreciate our way of life. They'll never accept us."

They both flew back to the sanctuary as quick as possible to avoid being late for supper. Once inside, Skyla gave Starlight her dinner and hurried to the kitchen to find her mother. She found Valka cooking some fish and Cloudjumper was dozing in the corner.

"I'm home mum." She announced removing her armor and giving her mother a kiss on the cheek and a hug. She hurried to her room to drop off her armor and picked up an empty jug to fill it with water.

"How was your flight dear? Did you find anything interesting?" Valka asked as she placed the food on a tray.

"Nope not today sadly. We flew as far as the border but we came back so we wouldn't be late for supper.

"Good thing you did. It's your favorite: smoked cod."

"Mum, what lies beyond the border?"

"Nothing that is good for either of us."

"Well why have you never let me go with you to help release those dragons from Drago? I'm sure Starlight and I would give them a fright."

"Well I know you both would but it's too dangerous for either of you. Plus one of the young trappers may try to seduce you."

"Well I don't know how a male seduces a woman since I had never met one in person."

"Well they lure you in with promises of love, their looks, their acts of love, and their words. And some of them who do that often leave the poor girl with a broken heart."

"But not all are like that right?"

"No not all of them. My husband for one was a good man. He was kind, firm, selfless, and I hope he was a good father to my son." Now this was new. Valka never mentioned having a son before nor a husband. She had always believed that her mother had always been alone before finding her. Before Skyla could say anything, she heard a Thunderdrum give seven roars, three short ones and four long ones.

"Trappers." They both said at the same time. Valka quickly put the tray down and rushed to grab her armor and staff.

"Need help?" Skyla asked handing Valka her mask.

"No you need to stay here. Wait till I get back." Valka said quickly taking the mask and putting it on.

"But mum I wanna help!" Skyla protested.

"No stay here. I promise I will be back as soon as possible. This won't take long." And with that, Valka climbed onto Cloudjumper and flew out with several dragons behind her to aid them.

Skyla went straight to her room and plopped herself down on her pile of furs. It wasn't fair that Valka never let her help. She felt caged inside the sanctuary. Even when she was allowed to roam she was never allowed to go past those boundaries.

"She treats me like I'm still eight." She muttered staring at the ceiling and twisting one of her tiny braids. Then she realized something: Valka never said anything about going under the border. And there was one dragon in the entire sanctuary that could burrow under.

Well it's time to break some rules! Good luck Skyla!

I hope you guys liked it so far. It's much longer than the last chapter like I promised. And yes I know the way I described Skyla in the last chapter makes her look like Elsa but she isn't :P So I hope to update more when I get the chance.