𝖎𝖎. ❛A TOAST TO ANEW ❜

ابدأ من البداية

"Master." Three knocks snapped her from his deep thoughts, prompting her to look up from the desk.

"Come in." The paper panel door slid open, revealing Tomoka as she walked in with a series of letters on a wooden tray. Internally, she let out a groan at the sight. Just when she thought she had finished her work for the day, her maid brings in more. "I'll look at them after dinner."

"I would look at these at your earliest convenience, Master." Tomoka set the tray upon the already-occupied desk, scattering some of the loose parchment atop the stained wood.

The Heir glanced over the lettering of the letter, inked upon it was signed by a particular Commissioner.

"Lord Ayato sent this?" She almost scoffed at the sight, feeling bitter at the idea that the man she was to marry would only communicate with her in private. Since Chisato and Kamaji's engagement party, she and Ayato had only ever exchanged dialogue through letters. It was a means to protect their image, but it felt frivolous; she felt like a child exchanging letters with a crush.

"He did. A messenger had just delivered this and said that it contained a matter of great urgency. I would suggest you read this when you can, Master."

The Heir frowned, taking the letter and examining it front-to-back. There was nothing particular on the exterior of the envelope, so she decided to open it.

My beloved (y/n).

She rolled her eyes at his flowery words, knowing it to be nothing more than an embellishment.

It has been busy for the two of us, I'm certain. Thankfully, I had found some time by the end of this week. If it is not too much trouble, I would like to meet you for lunch. There is much to discuss.

Signed, Kamisato Ayato.

Her fingers traced over his signature, feeling the ink crease underneath her fingertips. Her eyes narrowed, reading through the letter once again before breathing out a sigh.

"Master? Is there something wrong?" Tomoka tilted her head to the side in confusion, frowning at your reaction.

"No, no..." She set the letter down, a smile lacing her features in the reassurance of her concerned maid.

"Could you send a messenger to let the Commissioner know that I accept his lunch proposal? As for the date, I don't believe I have much work at the end of the week... So tell him that any time that works best for him is fine."

Tomoka nodded, leaving the Heir to think through the contents of the letter alone.

"That man..." She breathed quietly, staring hard at the sweeping signature at the bottom of the letter. After reading the words, the unexplained feeling in her chest grew a bit tighter.

She brought two fingers to her neck, feeling the way her heart thrummed through the veins, her breathing erratic. She frowned at this, lowering her head as she read the introductory words of the letter aloud.

"My beloved huh..." She pursed her lips, closing her eyes. "What a foolish thing to say..."

THE END OF the week came faster than the Heir had anticipated. Perhaps it was all the occupancy of the work in place of dull moments, but she was thankful nevertheless. For once, she was looking forward to having lunch with Ayato.

Not one to appear late for an occasion such as this, she showed up early with a few gifts (most of which was Chisato's idea as it was only courtesy to present gifts to one's future family-in-law). An aged dandelion wine from Mondstadt for the Commissioner and a decorative hairpin made from beautiful jewels from Sumeru for his sister.