Home

Home is where the heart is and he was finally visiting his heart after a tiring wait of four months and fifteen days. Hyderabad- the city which was not only his birthplace but meant everything to him, if cities were to be your soulmate then this was his. Dada Dadi never left Hyderabad even after his daddy managed to build a huge business empire in Karachi, it was either because of the sentimental values they had with their ancestral home or because their widow daughter and granddaughter lived there alone and unprotected; he never understood.

He envied Khirad for being Dada Dadi's favorite grandchild, for having the biggest share of their love and affection something he was always deprived of. But they weren't wrong, anyone would shower all the love they had on Khirad Ihsan even if they were left with few of it, as he did. He still remembered visiting Hyderabad after seven years, seeing his eighteen year old cousin who had grown into this beautiful girl he fell for at first sight.

The grudge he had against her for being his grandparents' favorite sublimed in a whoosh. That one week he spent in Hyderabad for a wedding was enough to lay foundation of his first love that intensified over the years. Till this date Khirad would take a jibe at him for explaining all math questions wrong she asked him to do for her because mister was explicitly lost in her. Khirad too, who was in ninth grade then developed a huge crush that transformed into an irrevocable love on her broody yet handsome cousin whom all girls in family had eyes for. Since then Ashar would always find excuses to visit Hyderabad, Fareeda never understood when did he develop this love and attachment for his phupho. It never bothered him how small and smothering their house was, he'd happily sleep anywhere because as long as he was around her nothing mattered.

He'd always tell Khirad, 'this house smells of you,' and she'd shrug off that remark knowing he only said these things out of love otherwise this apartment and this place, both weren't of his status but little did she know how wrong this judgment was. Despite of Ashar's countless efforts, seeds of insecurities continued to replenish in khirad's heart yet he never abstained from assuring her and phupho of his unconditional love which had no bounds.

Talking of bounds, scarcity of rain in Sindh had no bounds either hence on his drive to Hyderabad the drizzling gave him a relief that Khirad's mood might have taken a 360 degree turn and she'll forgive him under the effect of weather. Her narazgi did pull him to Hyderabad sooner than he had planned and without any plan he was counting on the weather to favor his romance. Long distance relationships aren't easy to begin with, he thought especially when two insecure complex souls are entwined in it.

Maimoona spread her arms embracing her loving nephew heartedly, he had a relief at least she loved him more than Khirad. Like always she busied herself in stuffing him with fruits and snacks whereas his eyes were glued to the ticking of clock waiting for her arrival from college. And there she was after a wait of four hours in her college uniform, wearing kohl in her eyes adorned with a dupatta loosely worn on her head. 'Ammi neechay kis jahil ne gaadi park ki hai.' She said annoyingly without looking at the unexpected guest licking the mango seed. He knew she was acting indifferent; it wasn't possible for her to not recognize his car. 'Wohi Jahil jo bin bulaye tumhare srr pe aa baitha hai.' He uttered cheekily noticing she wasn't wearing the bracelet he gifted her last year. The usual Khirad Ihsan stunt, 'Yeh larki pagal hai bilkul.' He wondered

'Khirad...sharam kr lo, mehmaan hai.' Maimoona glared at her daughter apologizing for the rudeness.

'Hrr do mah baad mu utha kr anay walay mehmaan nhi hotay ammi.' She was in no mood to spare him this time; he knew it was her four month bottled anger waiting to be smashed. 'Wa Alaikum Assalam! Kesi ho?' He licks the mango seed one last time suggestively, making her uncomfortable with the mirth in his eyes.