Chapter 1

Vincent Kalu's POV

The office door opened as I set down the desk phone in my hand, and Elroy, my best friend and business partner of nine years, stepped in wearing his signature three-piece navy blue suit. He stood beside the door, his eyes focused on me, and his hand was stuffed into his pocket.

"What's the offer?" he asked as he stepped further into my office. The famous cocky smile on his face made his blue eyes flicker.

"They accepted the deal," I answered, my smile coming off strong.

He laughed and pressed his hand to his mouth. "Oh, wow, your net worth just changed, man!" he exclaimed, stepping toward me and stretching his hand out for a shake. I shook his hand, and he pulled me into a bear hug.

Elroy has been my best friend since childhood and my biggest motivator since I started the company with my father's gratuity fund nine years ago. He stood at six feet, three inches tall, and though we were the same height, Elroy was larger and younger by three years, yet that didn't mean a thing. He was the life of the party, while I chose a mild and quiet life. That was why, at the age of twenty-six, I married the love of my life, Nina Kalu, and we have been together for the last seven years.

Elroy was single and didn't seem like someone ready to settle down soon, and Nina had always held that against him and told me she didn't like my company with him. Elroy didn't believe in marriage or finding the right one, as I did. As much as he supported me in my quest to find happiness in a partner and settle down, he didn't believe it for himself. He frequented strip clubs and pleasure parlours and still had flocks of girls around him. In conclusion, he didn't seem ready to change his ways yet.

Despite all this, I couldn't let Elroy go. We have built a history over the years that has strengthened our bond. He had had my back since the company's setup, and seeing us thrive now gives me the greatest joy.

"I wouldn't be here without you, man," I said, pulling away from the hug, but the smile still lingered on his face.

"Nah." Elroy stepped back from me, shaking his head. "This is all you, Vincent. All I did was believe in you and help however I could."

"And that was more than enough."

"We should celebrate. You don't have to worry about anything. All the funds needed for the party would be on me. All you have to do is be there."

My eyes narrowed while I silently stared at him. Elroy had one of the best memories of people, places, and things. I had been married for the last seven years, and even though he and Nina barely got along, it was hard to forget that I was married.

"I have a wife, and you were my best man at my wedding seven years ago to Nina, Elroy, or did you forget that? I can't go anywhere alone."

His eyes widened, and for a second, I believed he had genuinely forgotten that truth.

That hurt a little.

"You might be single, with no virtue of commitment, and prefer whoring yourself to the whole of Victoria Island, but I am not. I have a wife I love and swore I would be faithful to till death do us part."

My words came out crueller than I intended, but I couldn't help it. Elroy's dislike for Nina had grown over the years, and it was something I could no longer keep up with. I loved them both and didn't want to choose between them, but if given the chance, I loved Nina and made a vow to her, and so despite loving Elroy to death and back, I wouldn't wholly take his side on things. She was my wife, the one I went to bed with. The one I had a family with and loved.

"I am sorry. I forgot for a second that you were married. It wasn't an attack on you or Nina, but you attacked me and made silly assumptions about me."

I was never good at lying to Elroy to make him feel better, so I often tend not to speak. The words I just said were the truth, even though he tried to make them out as not.

"They are not mere assumptions. I have been friends with you for over twenty-five years; I think I know you to some extent. I am not judging you. Just stating the truth, I know."

"Fine, believe whatever it is you want." He threw his hands up dramatically, an action he took when he no longer wanted to further an argument. "How do you plan on celebrating the breakthrough of the deal?"

I pressed my lips together, not wanting to disclose my plans with him, especially after the fight we had just had.

"Come on!" he whined. "You wouldn't let me throw you a party because you're married, and now you wouldn't tell me what you have planned?" He demanded in a tone of disbelief.

"I planned to travel to Spain and surprise Nina there."

"Oh," was all he said.

My eyes dropped, knowing he had made plans for us, and my plans were now cutting him out of the picture. I wasn't sorry, though; the one person I wanted to celebrate with was my wife more than anyone else.

"When I return, we will have something together, just the two of us."

Elroy gave me a side-eye. "The last time you said those words, you showed up with Nina. She made the night unbearable for me."

I laughed. The memory of that outing replayed so vividly in my head that it felt almost like yesterday. "I apologised, so you shouldn't hold it against me. That won't happen this time."

After the unfortunate events of that night, Nina accused me of having an affair with Elroy. She had also claimed he was in love with me because of how strong our bonds were, but I told her she was overreacting and overreaching with her assumptions. We were two friends who loved each other very much, but not in the manner in which she claimed. I have loved women for the longest time. Elroy was a whore for women, and his love for them hasn't changed.

"I do not hold it against you; I just need you to know I would gladly take my leave if she tags along this time." He answered with a grumpy tone.

I reached for my grey suit hanging on my chair and swung it over my shoulders. "You're petty." I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. "I will go get Klean, and together we will leave for the airport."

He fell in line with me from behind. "Send him my love, will you?"

I nodded. "Sure thing."