1 | welcome back

You had nothing against Japan - hell! You had lived there for five whole years with your father and mother before moving overseas; but after getting used to America and it's less gentle customs having to go back to Miyagi kinda broke your heart. Not only were you going to loose all your current friends, but that also meant that you would have to learn Japanese all over again- which wasn't the most fun thing to do. You didn't like the change one bit but it's not like you could really say anything back to your mother, you and your sister had to move back and live with your grandma (who you also hadn't seen since you had last been in Miyagi's Prefecture).

The sky was of a slate grey color, completely covered by smoggy clouds as clear raindrops fell harshly on the window of your mother's dark red car making a pitter-patter sound, it was peaceful- or well it would have been peaceful if your sister wasn't screaming the lyrics of the song playing on the radio at the top of her seven years old lungs. "Sarah shut the hell up" you said rudely to which she just stuck her tiny tongue out and furrowed her dark eyebrows "you look ugly that way"
"And you are the worst sister in the whole world".
Your mother just sighed knowing way too well that there was no point in asking the both of you to stop, instead she just turned the volume up, blasting a song you were quite familiar with: Heroes by David Bowie; it was her favorite, you pretty much spent your whole childhood listening to it during long car trips, especially when going to the doctor.
"Are we there yet?" Your sister asked impatiently, rubbing her small chubby hands togheter to create some source of heat in between them.
"Yeah, just gotta park the car" your mother replied; you had finally reached Miyagi's prefecture after ten hours of plane and five of car, or well, that was what you thought.
"Wait, this place looks different, where are we?" You asked whilst raising a brow, there was no way this was Miyagi, unless it had been hit by a meteorite and completely rebuilt (Which surely wasn't the case).
"Oh, we gotta get your grandma back from her friend's house, do you remember Kita-san, [Name]?" You just nodded, Kita Shinsuke used to be your childhood best friend before you and your family eventually moved to America and lost contacts; sometimes you'd find yourself wondering how the white haired boy was doing, he had played quite an important role in your life.
You'd be lying if you said you didn't want to know what he looked like now.

"We'll be staying at his house for lunch before we eventually pack up and head to our new apartment" she said getting the keys out of the machine making a metallic noise, once you stepped out of the warm car you were immediately met with a freezing temperature and loads of thick fogs covering the house in front of your form, your nose reddened due to the humidity.
"Ah! [Name]-chan, Sarah-chan!" An elderly woman said peeking from the wooden door, a warm smile plastered on her wrinkly face whilst next to her stood Yumie Kita (Shinsuke's grandma).
"Mom!" Your mother said upon seeing her, immediately urging the two old women to get back inside the house as Sarah followed like a lost puppy.

Shifting nervously on the chair in front of the old dusty wooden table you grabbed a spoonful of sweet brown sugar and slowly mixed it inside your cup of hot bitter coffee, your mom was catching up with your grandma and your little sister was playing some dumb snake game on her plastic flip phone, leaving you and Shinsuke in each others company; it was awkward - extremely awkward.
"Sooo" you begun saying (in a quite broken Japanese) whilst looking around uncomfortably "how are you?"
"Fine, how about ya?"
"I'm doing good"
Seeing how the conversation was going nowhere and how you were struggling to understand what he was saying, an idea luckily popped up in Kita's mind "I got something to show you" he said offering you a small smile and holding one of his sturdy hands up in the air gesturing to follow him, walking behind the solumn boy you found yourself in the back yard of the house, it looked as pretty as you remembered it! But a rather familiar large plant was what truly caught your attention.

"Oh my God! Is that our tree?" Excitement washed over your face as he nodded "yeah I kept care of it for now...well, a lot" Your Chuckles filled the silence and the both of you somehow, after all of those years spent without each other, felt as close as ever.
"Do you remember our fish?" Your mouth twitched upwards upon asking that question to which Kita nodded "Yea, dookie, right?" You laughed once again, 'Dookie' ( Who's name was given by the immature 5 years old you ) used to be a gold fish that Shinsuke had miraculously won during one of the summer festivals you had attended; that poor thing had gone through the worst life experiences. "I should have never let ya keep it in yer house" he then added to which you rolled your eyes playfully "Listen I didn't know that he couldn't swim back up from the toilet"
"Certified animal abuser"
"I was five!"
Despite his robotic behavior Kita Shinsuke wasn't as stern as people made him out to be, often his voice was covered with a thin layer of sarcasm and his words twisted playfully; you were glad to be his friend "We gotta go in like an hour, I don't wanna loose contacts...can I have your number?" You asked suddendly feeling a tad shy, in response he just nodded and headed inside to grab his flip phone before coming back and shooting you a playful grin.

" It was nice seeing ya again".

"Time to go! [Name], Sarah, come on" your mother gestured for the two of you to get out of the house as your grandma followed behind, sitting on your seat and fastening the seatbelt you waved at Kita who shook his phone up in the air.
"Let's keep in contact this time".

The journey wasn't too long, it did last a few hours but then again Hyogo and Miyagi weren't exactly close, sighing you rolled down the car's window letting the harsh wind hit your face messing up your hair. Many thoughts flooded your mind, the loudest one being about you having to go to a new school and having to make new friends, shaking your head you decided to just stare at the now pebble grey sky as music blasted from your black headphones, Heroes by David Bowie was now once again playing and just like that peace embraced your form.

"Let's make some rules now" your mother said as soon as you stepped inside your new living room, sighing and rolling your eyes to the sky you just gave her a bored nod before sitting on a blue couch. "First of all, I'll be assigning you two some chores so your granny can rest" she said pointing to the elderly woman who was snoring on her wooden rocking chair, her form covered by a red fluffy blanket.
"Oh and before i forget, you'll be taking Japanese classes [Name]. I saw how you were struggling to speak with Kita-san".
"But mom it's still summer" you immediately said back harshly, just the thought of having to go back to school made you feel uneasy.
' homework, grades...tests!"
"Good, more time for you to practice"
She simply replied as you slumped forward. It was going to be hell, you were sure of it.

;; a/n

This chapter feels kinda rushed, sorry LOL.