Prologue - Vicious Cycle

"It's time, Narcissa."

"He is a boy, Lucius."

Two voices were entangled in a heated discussion as the candle lights dimmed due the rushed breathing and talking.

"The Lord has returned. If he does not do it, do you know the consequences that will befall the entire family?"

It was a good thing both wife and husband were raised with the best etiquette, or otherwise what was a heated discussion could have easily been brought to an intense duel.

"This isn't a matter of your imagery in his eyes, Lucius." A soft but firm and venomous tone, hinted blame rose as Narcissa spoke. "Draco is our son. Our only son. Dark Lord or not, I will not risk his safety."

"How can you blatantly brush off all the efforts I have put into protecting this family?" Lucius' remark was also aimed straight for home. Narcissa's expression softened from an angry one to that of a pained one. It was true.

Because she had been the one to tend to the injuries he brought home on days where the Dark Lord was in bad humor, on the days where Lucius made mistakes. The time he had first come home bloodied, bruised and barely breathing flashed before her eyes. It was the first time she had seen Lucius Malfoy, such a prideful arrogant man wearing a pleading expression. He was shivering, all the color drained from his face as he practically collapsed onto the floor as soon as he flooed home. Back then Draco was still a small babe, sleeping soundly in the cradle of their bedroom when it had happened. Narcissa was unable to sleep for the next month, especially on the nights her husband was summoned by the Lord.

"Please, Lucius. I don't wish to see him end up like you that night..." She had resorted to pleading with him. She was on the verge of tears. She could not handle seeing Draco hurt and sending him off, making him sign off his freedom to a man who without doubt lacked sanity was buying him a one way ticket to hell.

"He is demanding, Cissy." Lucius's gaze had softened seeing the brunette grow pale in front of him. He reached for her arms unconsciously to comfort her. "I cannot refuse him..."

She pushed his hands away.

"What family will you have left to protect if you send him off to that devil?"

"Cissy, I-"

"This matter is not up for discussion, Lucius. I will leave you to think of this yourself."

The door of his office shut with a soft thud. To Lucius, it couldn't have been any less than a shattering sound on him.

As an ambitious, hot blooded young Malfoy heir, Lucius was brought up with unshakable faith in the eventual victory of the Dark Lord, but if anything, the few recent years have made his faith waver. The most magically powerful man of Britain, if not of the world, could not repeatedly defeat a teen who did not even have proper education with a few friends. Now in his older years, Lucius's thoughts bordered on regret in his choice to join the Lord's army but he dared not go beyond that. He was lost in thought as he listened with mixed feelings the footsteps of his wife fading into the hall. Lucius paused at that thought.

Narcissa's footsteps. Something wasn't right. He didn't hear them. He knew better than to say he was just too lost in thought. It was a habit of his to listen to footsteps around. He swung open the door in a less visible, but frantic worry.

There he sees his wife, shades paler than during their argument, leaning her back against the wall for support. Her face was stricken with panic and despite her elegance, her mouth hanging open a little in utter shock. His gaze follows his wife's. 

Draco stood with the most serious expression he had seen on him.

Draco was awake and he had heard their conversation.