*Prologue: Lost Girl-Cub*

Start from the beginning

"Bagheera, what is this? Where did you find it?" Rama asked.

"Shere Khan was attacking the hunters. And this girl-cub was on her own. She needs to be in a safe place until I find a man. Will you keep the cub safe until I return?" Bagheera asked. Rama stared at the girl-cub who stares back in silent. She doesn't seem afraid of him. Her face is wet from crying. Rama gave the panther a nod. Bagheera thanked him and left to check back on the spot where the humans camp from. The light gray wolf, Raksha, came out with her wolf cubs. One little gray wolf, Grey, came up to Rayna and sniffed her. Rayna smiled and started to pet Grey.

"A girl-cub." Raksha spoke.

"Bagheera has found her, lost in the jungle." Rama said. Raksha stares at the girl with interest. She smiled warmly at her. Rayna walked up to Rama and hug him. The other wolf cubs stared in wonder. Rama forms a soft smile as Rayna pets his soft fur. "She doesn't fear us." He spoke.

"What are we going to do with it?" One cub asked, coming up to her.

"Her." Raksha corrected her cub. "Not 'it'." Before Rama could tell his mate about Bagheera, they hear giggling approaching the den. Rama stood in front of Rayna, growling at Tabaqui.

"Evening, wolves." Tabaqui said.

"Tabaqui. You are not welcome here!" Rama growled as Raksha told her cubs go stay inside the cave.

"I understand that part, Rama." Tabaqui replied. "But I was following a scent. Something...fresh." His eyes went over to Rayna, watching him in fear. "Oohhh. A girl-cub!" Tabaqui cooed, slightly drooling. Raksha growled at him, stood behind the girl. Shere Khan's roar can be heard from the distance.

"Your master's calling. You must go to him." Raksha spoke to the striped hyena.

"He sounds angry." Rama said. Tabaqui looks at Rayna once more before leaving the den. Rama growled. He must make a council meeting with Akela. The pack must know about the girl. Until Bagheera returns, they decide what they will do with Rayna.

All of the wolves are gathered around the rock where the council is held. Their leader, Akela, stood on top of the rock. Rama and Raksha brought Rayna up front to show Akela. The wolves growled and talk over each other.

"That is not a wolf!"

"A man's cub!"

"This doesn't belong here!"

"A girl-cub! Outrageous." Rayna looked up at Akela who stared back. The wolf leader did not expect this. Rama told him what Bagheera had said to him. Akela sneered when he hears the name Shere Khan. Rayna whimpered and held Rama's front leg. Bagheera arrived at the council meeting.

"Bagheera. Is there any man left?" Akela asked the panther. Bagheera looked over at the girl who is comforted by Rama, then at Akela. He shook his head.

"There is no hope. Shere Khan killed them, and the hunters...fled in fear." He said sighing. Akela stared at Rayna once more. She is now alone. She could die out there in the jungle while Shere Khan is around their part. "The girl-cub needs a home and protection." Bagheera spoke. Raksha made a nod. Akela faced both Rama and Raksha.

"You wish to raise this cub as if she were your own?" He asked.

"I do." Rama spoke.

"As do I." Raksha said, standing beside Rayna who looked up at her. The wolves were shocked to hear this. How could they raise a girl-cub?

"You know the law." Akela spoke to the pack. "This cub was not born among us. So, who, here, speaks for the cub?" The wolves laughed a bit. Rama and Raksha growled at them. Bagheera stood.

"I speak for the cub." He told the leader. "While raised here, I will be her guardian and teach her many laws about the jungle. I will bring my payment. The law states that the life of a cub may be bought for a price."

"We have one." Akela said to the pack. "Who else will speak for the cub?" A roar is heard, making the wolves turn and growl at the creature. Shere Khan approaches the council as the wolves move away. Tabaqui laughed behind the tiger.

"Well, well. There is a girl-cub." Shere Khan said as he spotted Rayna between Rama and Raksha. Rayna whimpered in fear, burying her face in Rama's fur. "Poor little cub. She has no one left in the jungle. Those humans are foolish enough to try to get rid of me with those sticks."

"This is not your concern, Shere Khan." Akela said, standing on his rock.

"The cub is mine. I killed her parents with my own teeth and claws." Shere Khan growled. "I may let the other humans get away, but they will not come for the girl-cub."

"This cub will not be yours. She is mine." Raksha said, raising her voice.

"Best you leave now, Shere Khan!" Rama said, getting in front of the pack.

"Careful, Rama. You do not want to challenge me." Shere Khan said with a smirk. Tabaqui giggled. The wolves started to join with Rama, growling at them. Rayna is now under the protection of the wolf pack. If Shere Khan takes on Rama or Akela, he will take on the pack.

"As the leader of the pack, this jungle is closed to you." Akela said. Shere Khan roared at him.

"One of these days, the girl-cub's blood will run down my chin. You cannot be leader forever." With that, Shere Khan and Tabaqui turn away to leave the council. Rayna is shaken up. Raksha came down to lick her face, telling her she is safe. Akela sat on his rock.

"The cub is spoken for. She is one of us." Akela said. Raksha smiled. "You will teach her as you would your own. As long as I am alive, the pack will stand by the girl-cub." Bagheera came up to Akela, giving him more details about what he had discovered down at the camp and remembered he overheard the name of the girl. "The cub's name is Rayna." The wolf leader said to the pack. The girl looked up at the leader in response. Akela forms a small smile at her. Rayna did the same. She has a new family.
The cubs of Rama didn't seem pleased, except for Grey. But Rama had told them to treat Rayna as their own sibling. They didn't have a choice. Rayna is one of them now. Grey nuzzles against Rayna's chest, making her giggle. Rayna's life in the jungle and part of the wolf pack begins.