29 | egg; to make a scene

Start from the beginning

"Stop messing with him." He turned to the other. "And you, stop thinking everything is going to eat you."

"B-but don't I look tasty?"

"....." Lucas answered honestly, "If it came down to it, you'd be the first I'd eat."

"...!"

The man looked over Julian's terrified face and turned to the door. Really, there was nothing to do about a cowardly youth.

"You two, go find the others. When you do, leave immediately."

Wren narrowed her sharp gaze questioningly. "And? What will you do?"

"I'll observe the situation. If there's a way to get involved without risking my life, I will. And I'll see if we can get your revenge in any other way."

"...it's your death wish."

She waved dismissively, shrugging past him as she dragged Julian by the arm behind her. However, when she entered the room, the woman cast a final look back.

Her 'Link' wouldn't die again, would be?

Though the man seemed to run into death like it was his calling, or deep desire. Wren sighed, deciding not to think further on it. Whatever he chose to do, it would only benefit her in some way at the end.

On the other hand, upon leaving the room and turning in separate directions, Lucas searched for a map. They'd dropped down a considerable amount, and if the dining room had been on the 3rd floor, he was either on the first, or underground.

What sort of apartment complex would have rooms underneath ground level was beyond him, but the possibility existed nonetheless.

His phone buzzed in his pocket—as it seemed to do endlessly since he added a certain two people's contacts—and he sighed, pulling it out reluctantly.

This time, the insistent texts were from no other than than his bothersome boss.

[Weed: Do you plan to face them alone?]

[Lucas: I'll see what can be done before I decide. If there's a method, then I'll attack.]

A moment of relapse before the three dots appeared again at the bottom of his screen. Lucas continued walking, glancing around cautiously in case of an unexpected attack.

The most foolish thing to do would be to get distracted at such a time.

[Weed: I'm inside the building. Where are you?]

The other frowned down at the phone. The scariest thing wasn't being ambushed anymore, but instead the strange helpfulness of that man.

[Lucas: What games are you planning on now?]

[Weed: Can't I come save you like a dashing prince, out of the goodness of my heart?]

[Lucas: You have no goodness in your heart.]

Elias, who'd jumped down from a tree to sneak into the building of crazed humans, stared silently at his phone. 

Should he just jump back out?

Then, up ahead, he saw the faint glow of light in the dark halls and he glanced back at his phone, then back up again. Was it just a coincidence or was that crouching light perhaps...

He walked closer and tapped the squatting man on the shoulder.

Lucas flinched, spinning around, ready to attack.

Instead, he saw an insufferable smile. "You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"Aren't I looking at one?" replied Lucas plainly, scowling.