Part 5

"Charles! What are you doing here? Is Arthur okay?" The concern in your voice noticable enough that Charles smile wavers as you close the door.

"Yes. Shall we go for lunch? I've been travelling all morning and I'm hungry."

You look at him in bewilderment. "I'm at work... I have patients..."

"You can get lunch though, surely? Dr Azil  said it would be okay."

"I bought lunch with me... I didn't bring my purse..."

Charles sighs. "Nice. I have to travel from Monaco AND pay for lunch. Okay, well I guess its on me." His tired eyes fix on yours as you look back confused. "Look I will explain when we are eating but please can we go, I hate hospitals."

You consider him for a minute before nodding. "Okay. Let me get my jacket."

You head to the front entrance in silence, examining Charles several times in an attempt to figure out what is going on, but he walks looking straight ahead. You get lost in thought for a second and glance forward just in time to brace yourself for impact with a laundry trolley, when a strong arm pulls you out the way.

"You should look where you are going y/n." Charles says, letting you go as quickly as he snatched you out the way. Before you can respond he is by the main doors so you rush to catch up. "Sorry about the car, I had to call in a favour."

"Is that a Mclaren? I've never seen a car this nice in real life!" You look at the car in disbelief as you hear Charles laugh

"You are easy to please. Imagine if I had managed to arrange a Ferrari! Come on, get in." He opens the door for you as you slide into the leather seat.

Charles drives for around 15-20 minutes as you look quietly between the window and your phone, checking the time. The radio is on but you take no notice until Charles begins to hum along to Adele. You look over and see him smirk at you before glancing at the road and then back again.

"Eyes on the road Charles, if you hate hospitals you don't want us to end up in one."

"You keep checking the time. You aren't needed back at work y/n."

"You said for lunch, I only get a 45 minute break."

You glance up as Charles turns into a village pub car park.

"We are here now, you may as well hear me out, no?" Charles shrugs gently.

You head inside and look around. The pub has a country tweed style but with a high end finish.

"How did you hear about this place?" You continue to look around at the half filled tables and neatly printed menus as a server directs you to a seat.

"It came recommended, this has to be better than a homemade lunch in the staff room?"

You don't answer as you peruse the menu. You see Charles glance over expectantly, clearly hoping to get a reaction from you but you continue to look over the list before ordering drinks.

"What will you have? I can't decide." He eventually asks, realising you won't bite.

"I think I'll have a burger, seeing as you are paying," you say smiling.

Charles nods in agreement. "Nice, I'm glad you eat real food. I will have the same as you."

As the waiter returns with your drinks you order your meal and sit back sipping on the cool glass of coke. "Now will you please explain why you are here? I'm confident it isn't just to have lunch with me."

"Okay. The night Arthur got home from Silverstone he started to struggle with his breathing. He went to hospital in Monaco and they said he had a blood clot that had developed, likely from the crash or from flying home afterwards, or both."

Your face drops as your brain floods with possible complications Arthur has or is experiencing. "But you said he was okay!"

"He is, but he can't race for the rest of the season now and he needs a nurse. He is having daily injections, his arm is still in a cast and he is struggling."

There is a moments pause as you both look at each other before Charles leans forward.

"He wants you to be his nurse, y/n."