Chapter 4: A New Order

The trip back the Fort Dawnguard was long, and rather depressing. I went for four days, walking back to Whiterun to get Tully, and yet the entire time, I thought about Serana. I was wondering if she was okay, if she was safe there, and what she was doing. I began to think that she was thinking about me, but I shook the thought away. She had all those people she could talk to, all of them her kind. But no. She would've been lonely, especially since no one seemed to care that she was back, safe and sound. I knew that her father was up to something, he had something planned. But I couldn't do anything about it. At least for now.

When I reached Whiterun, it was near afternoon, so I decided to stay at the Bannered Mare. I played some songs, but none used lyrics, though no one seemed to mind. Everyone was happy, and when they left, and I decided to go to bed, the owner of the Bannered Mare, Hulda, gave me fifty gold for my performance. Apparently the song choices were good. I slept, but it was a dreamless sleep, nothing entering into my mind, except one thought.

"What is my problem?" I asked myself, as if expecting an immediate answer. I only knew the girl for four days, and already she's haunting my mind and sleep. Perhaps this is what vampires do? But no, I killed dozens of vampires before hearing of the Dawnguard, and not one had caused me grief. I had felt this way about Aela too once, but not to this extent. With Aela, we hunted together, fought together, drank together, but I was sure she was interested in Vilkas. The guy is something, as he is can use his mind and arm, plus he's always at Jorrvaskr, so they'd have a longer time to get to know each other. And also they were a part of the Companions longer than I was.

"Never mind." I said out loud, and got ready for breakfast. The food was good. Two honey nut treats, with baked potatoes and Eldar cheese on the side, along with an apple. I ate most of the food, and pocketed the apple, for someone else.

"Thank you." I thanked Hulda, and left for the stables. Tully was rather happy to see me coming to get her. At least I'd have someone with me on this journey back to the fort. I paid Skulvar Sable-Hilt thirty gold for his work on Tully, and he seemed content with the payment. We rode for a few kilometres, passing the Eastmarch border again, but thankfully with no bodies on the road. There was no sign of the massacre that occurred that day.

"Seems Ulfric wants to keep the trade flowing during this war." I said to Tully. She shook her head, content with the fact that there was nothing to frighten her this time.

We rode straight to Riften, and I walked back to Fort Dawguard. The place still seemed to be a little haven of life, and I thought to myself;

"I wonder what Skjor is doing in Hircine's Hunting Grounds?" I thought. He always wanted to be in Hircine's Realm of Oblivion, and I thought about it too sometimes.

"Oh well, there's no point in asking of the dead, since they will never hear."

Then my eyes shot up towards the fort, as I heard lightning being shot. I could smell the scent of the dead, and I knew what it was.

I arrived to see three vampires were attacking the fort, pinning Celann and Isran down. So I snuck around through the tree line, and drew my sword. A vampire heard, but before she could do anything, I had already crossed the gap between us, and ran my sword through her body. Her deathly scream all of a sudden seemed to satisfy my blood lust, and I realised that I needed to kill. I had to quell it, and fast, but another vampire came charging down at me, while his colleague charged at Isran and the others. He swung his sword around to cut my head off, but the move had been attempted many a time, and it had never succeeded. I blocked another swing, and because of his interruption, I could feel the change wanting to emerge. I grabbed the vampire's throat, and slammed him to the ground. Then, as he tried to back away, crawling backwards, I stepped on his stomach, and ran my sword through his gut. He screamed, and it just fed my blood lust. So, just to satisfy myself, I stepped over to the vampire's side, and with one powerful stomp, I crushed the vampire's skull. The screaming stopped then, and it was peaceful. I was sated.