chapter 5

──────────────────✧・゚: *✧・゚:*──────────────────

──────────────────
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
──────────────────

575 BC BABYLON

everyone was sat around in a circle around sprite who was putting on a show with her illusions for the people of babylon.

y/n was watching when she felt a presence behind her. she looked up to see druig looking down at her.

"hey" he smiled. you leaned further back, resting the back of your head against his chest. he rested his chin on the top of your head and his hand brushed against yours.

sprite set off fireworks and the crowd began cheering and clapping.

druig brought his face down to your cheek.

"let's have a seat" he whispered and intertwined his fingers with yours. leading you over to some seats with some humans.

you sat next to druig, listening as he laughed with some humans. every so often you'd say a couple things to druig and he truly cherished every time he got to hear your voice.

you felt comfort with him and only him.

makkari sped over to the table you were at.

"makkari, you're late" druig stood up.

"i needed to get enough artefacts to make a good trade" she signed before rummaging through her bag and dropping some items on the table in front of the humans.

"just lie to her" one of the men whispered in babylonian, catching your attention. druig heard too, but neither of you did anything. because you knew that makkari could sense it and handle it herself.

one of the men reached for an artefact and she sped around, grabbing his wrist.

"i can sense vibrations. even the tiniest movement including your voices when you speak. did you two just waste my time?" makkari signed to which druig translated in babylonian.

"the emerald tablet you're searching for... is a myth!" the man snickered in babylonian. you shot two vines to wrap around their throats. you leaned forward.

"don't lie" you seethed in babylonian, squeezing the vines tighter and burned their neck from the poison. a brawl broke out from behind you and druig stood up. a humming energy was heard as the fighting mens eyes went citrine yellow. they slapped
themselves and then hugged each other.

you put a hand on druigs shoulder.

"you know what ajak would say about this"
you tilted your head. druig turned to you.

"well she'd also say that choking people with poison ivy is very, very bad" he said as he stepped closer. you sighed and flicked your hand in direction of the choking men, releasing them from the poisonous vines.

"i wont tell if you won't tell" you cocked an eyebrow.

"deal" he said in a low, gentle voice. you tilted your head up and he mimicked it.

ajak and ikaris watched from the roof as you and druig visibly flirted.

"i don't know what surprises me more. the fact that y/n can make druig nice, or the fact that druig can make her talk" ikaris said as he turned to ajak.

"they are good for each other. he looks at her the same way you look at sersi. with true love and concern" ajak said as she turned to ikaris.

"i promise i won't let my feelings for sersi distract me from my mission. humans are far from being able to protect themselves from the deviants. we still have much to do" ikaris sighed.

"your faith in arishem is strong. i can feel it. but you are allowed to live a life, you know? look at y/n. she knows what she must do but she also stands her ground. for the first time in a thousand of year she's allowing herself to open up and look at how much she is enjoying herself. go tell sersi how you feel" ajak said. ikaris tried to fight back the smile as he looked towards druig and y/n slow dancing.

the way his hand snaked around her waist so perfectly.

the way her head fit so well on his shoulder.

the way they swayed to the music in rhythm.

they looked so perfect.

druig truly cherished the moments where y/n was out of her shell and comfortable.
and he loved the fact that these moments were shared with him. he loved that she felt comfortable to do this with him.

he loved her, but he didn't know just how much he loved her yet. and she had no idea.

one day he'd build up the courage to tell her.

just one day.

"everyone's going back inside, wanna go for a walk?" he whispered. she nodded before lifting her head from his shoulder. the music went quiet as their slow dance came to a stop.

you walked alongside the boy as you made your way down the path.
comfortable silence consuming the both of you.

until you decided to break it.

"i did something i promised myself i'd never do" you said. he looked down at you.

"and what's that, m'lady" he asked.

"i let myself care about someone" you said. he cocked an eyebrow.

"you care about thena, gilgamesh, ikaris, ajak" he listed.

"that's because they are my family. i'm talking about care for someone as in, genuine worry" you said. he stopped walking and turned to you.

"how so?" he asked, knowing it was him you were talking about. but he wanted you to say that for yourself.

"i talked to you. and i knew i shouldn't have. because the second i did, i slipped away. i let you in and now i can't get you out even if i wanted to. i don't regret it one bit but i hate that someone can have this affect on me" you looked at your feet, fiddling with your thumbs.

his hand slipped up to your chin and he lifted your face so you look at him.

"it's okay to care, it just shows that you're as raw and vulnerable as the rest of us" he said. you close your eyes and nodded.

you stepped forward and wrapped your arms around his torso. burying your face into his chest.

"y'know that's the most you've spoken to me since the day we met" he teased as he wrapped his arms around you, squeezing you tightly.

"shut up" you smiled, causing him to laugh. neither of you dared to pull away from the hug.

it took every fibre within him not to grab you and kiss you right now.

how he wondered the taste of your lips.

what they would feel like fighting his.

but he knew, he knew if he did it, he'd undo everything he's worked for over the last few thousand years; your trust.

it wasn't something he was willing to risk. not until he knew you felt the same way for him.

not even you knew that you felt the same way yet.
at this moment, he was a sense of safety. someone you felt calm with.
you were clueless to the feelings towards him.