Night

"Naya? Are you here?"

Naya jumped, almost not recognizing the voice from how tired she was.

"Y-yeah, I'm here," she called back, opening her door to let her mother in. She'd just barely gotten back from crime fighting in time for her mother to come home for the first time that week because this was an occasion she just couldn't miss.

It had been two weeks since her first outing as Wisp, and villains had been showing up almost every single day, making her work long hours. They were getting tougher too, so Ladybug and Cat Noir needed her help almost every time.

Her Kitty had even started warming up to her alternate personality of Wisp after she'd saved his life on multiple occasions. Ladybug had completely accepted her into the group, as well as being completely oblivious of Cat Noir's reservations as usual. It seemed this was always the case, as the red superhero blazed ahead, dragging Cat Noir behind her but not listening to anything he said. She always acted like he was just a bother in her life, but whenever he tried to agree she'd become horrified and beg him not to make a bad choice.

Nothing had happened in the time she'd been with them, but Naya could tell there were many lingering feelings on both sides of the duo. From what she'd gathered, Cat Noir had almost given up his miraculous on multiple occasions and Ladybug was terrified of it happening again.

If she's terrified, she should act like she actually wants him, Naya would think on multiple occasions, glaring at the superhero when she wasn't paying attention. But she never voiced her concerns; that would risk revealing her secret identity as someone who cared about Cat Noir. And, as Ladybug had reminded her many, many times, she could never do that.

Never.

So Cat Noir will never know who I am.

He'll never know I've been by his side this whole time.

"How's it going?" her mother asked awkwardly. She'd never been good at small talk, but it was nice to see her trying. At least she was there, and that was enough for Naya.

"It's alright. I'm tired," she laughed.

"Is school...tiring? Or something else?"

Oh wow. If only you knew.

"Just school." She smiled. "I'm glad you're home."

And there was that coldness she should've been used to by that point. The way her mother's smile froze over and her eyes half glazed.

"I have to work, you know that."

"I'm not trying to say—"

"Naya."

"Sorry." She looked away, trying to hide her annoyance. Her mother always got like this when she showed even a hint of that emotion.

The woman took a deep breath, then sighed it out. "Why don't we go out tonight? I hear there's a new restaurant themed after that new "Wisp" superhero everyone's talking about."

"Oh yeah!" Naya cried, overjoyed. "I saw that on the Ladyblog! It looks super cool."

Her mother smiled gently at her excitement, returning to her original expression and Naya relaxed, relieved.

If only she didn't have to deal with this at all...but she did, so there was nothing to do about it except to try and appease her mother's good moods.