Chapter Twenty-Four: Motherly Instinct

I shut my eyes, ready for the impact. She gasped, and then yelled: "EVERYONE UP! ALL OF YOU GET UP THIS INSTANT!" Immediately, everyone woke up, cleaning their eyes from sleep. Trey woke up, looked at my mom, and his eyes flew wide open. "Mrs. Clayton, I can explain..." He starts, but my mom cut him off. "GET OFF MY DAUGHTERS' BED NOW, YOU MANGY APE!" Instantly, he jumped from the bed, only to step on Shanike's foot. She shrieked out in pain, and slapped Trey on the back of his head. "TREY! YOUR HIGHNESS, GET OFF! SIR, GET OFF! GET OFF MY FOOT!!!" He stepped back; crushing a soda can in the process. The crunching sound of the can echoed through the room as everyone sat up or stood in complete silence. Mom looked furious, so when she whipped around and looked at me, I could tell things weren't going to end well. "Well, Danielle. Start explaining. Because until I know EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED, NO ONE IS LEAVING THIS HOUSE. UNDERSTOOD?" I nod my head quickly. "Yes, Mom." She then storms down the hallway, and slams her bedroom door shut. I sigh, and then inhaled sharply when Mom yelled: "WHO WENT IN MY ROOM?" I scurried into my room, shutting the door behind me. "Sorry about that, guys. Um, my mom wasn't exactly fond of seeing Trey in my bed like that...But don't worry; I'll have it all under control. You'll see. Maybe you can even stay over for another day!" They all stared at me, then started to roll up their sleeping bags. Wow. Their faith in me just dropped like 100 levels. I can do this. I've won over my mom before, and I can do it again. I walked over to Trey, and touched his arm. "You believe in me, right?" He smiled down at me. "Of course I believe you can do it. I just think your mom will win this argument." I glared at him, turn around, and stomp on his foot with my heel while walking away. He yelped in pain, grabbing his foot, and dropping his sleeping bag. It unraveled on the floor, as if to say: I'M NOT LEAVING AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME. Everyone else just stared at me as I stood in the doorway. I put my hands on my hips, and stick my chin up. "I, Danielle Petrene Clayton, do solemly swear to tell my mother the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. All in favor of staying over and helping me with a few things, say I!" There was a moment of silence. Finally, Nicole spoke. "I volunteer." Savannah shrugged. "I'll have to come over here and help your struggling little self anyways." I nudged her, and smiled. "Anyone else?" Shanike raised her hand. "I'll come." Michelle nodded. "Ditto for me." I looked at Trey, who was sitting on my bed, massaging his foot. "It's only you left, Trey. What do you say?" He looked up from massaging his foot, sighed, then said: "Alright. I'll come too." I grinned, and walked down the hallway towards my parents' room. I knock softly on the door, and my mom asks: "Who is it?" I smile. "It's your daughter." She groaned, and I opened the door. She threw a pillow at me, and stared at me with teary eyes. "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT GUYS WERE COMING OVER? I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST INVITING ALL YOUR GIRL FRIENDS! Danielle, you've disappointed me." I look down at my feet in shame. I've never disappointed my mom like this before. "I'm sorry I broke your trust, Mom. I...I guess I was just too excited to tell you." She continued to cry, and I just stood there by the door, feeling ashamed. Suddenly, my knees buckled, and I fell to the floor crying. Mom looked up from her own tears, walked over to me, and hugged me. Then she said something I thought I would never hear. "Danielle, from the moment I gave birth to you, I loved you. To this moment, I still love you. Just don't do anything like this again . Okay?" I giggled, still crying. "I love you too, Mom." We continued hugging for a few minutes, when I remembered that I had to clarify myself in court later on. "Um, Mom?" She nodded. "Mm?" I slowly pried myself off of her. "I...uh..Talked with the cops again, and I..uh...have to..um...go to court...um...today." She laughed. "Spit it out, child. I taught you to speak up, didn't I?" I inhaled. "I have to go to court today." She instantly became serious. "I thought the case wasn't until -..." I cut her off. "They cut it to today, Mom. I have until 9:00 PM to set up my case." She stared at me, then embraced me in a hug again. "I'll help you, hun. I have your back." I grin. My mom always has my back when I need it most. I walk back to my room, where everyone was sitting on my bed. Trey looked at me with concerned eyes. "And?" I nodded, then noticing Jackson wasn't in my room anymore. "Where's Jackson?" I asked Shanike, who was still half asleep. She yawned. "He went home. Said something about the case, then left. I don't care, I'm tired. Can I sleep now?" Everyone looked at me with hopeful eyes. I nod. "Yes." Everyone then unrolled their sleeping bags, and started sleeping. I chuckled. Trey sneaked up behind me, and hugged me from behind. "I'm assuming you'll need help with the case." I kiss him on the cheek. "Would that be a problem?" He kisses my cheek, then my lips. "Not at all."