Part 19

The next final selection begins tonight. Both Tanjiro and Kanao would participate this time.

Giyuu had done as much as he could to help those two along over the months. Physical conditioning, swordsmanship, tactics, he drilled as much of those three things into them as he could. Soon it would be up to them and them alone to survive for 7 days and 7 nights with no one other then themselves to rely on.

"I have nothing left to teach you boy." Sakonji said to Tanjiro as he patted his back.

"You've cut the rock, learned all the forms, you've even gotten special training by not one, but two pillars." He said counting himself.

"Tomioka-san I-" Tanjiro tried to address him.

"Don't call me that, I've told you, it's just Tomioka to you." He never liked how formal Tanjiro spoke to him, it sounded odd coming from someone he knew for years.

"Right, Tomioka, thank you." Tanjiro said bowing down to him.

"Remember, once you step inside that place, don't try to be a hero. Your first priority is?" Sakonji said.

"Safety, water, shelter, then food." Tanjiro answered.

"Good, I'll be waiting for you once you return."

Giyuu had a slight smile on his face as he watched Tanjiro straighten out his outfit and sheathed the blade he was given.

The two men walked him out of the small home as they continued talking.

"Good luck, I and your sister will be waiting for your return." Sakonji said he eyed the boy.

The two men watched him as he started his journey to the mountain where the final selection would be held.

Tanjiro waving back at them one final time before disappearing out of sight.

He knew Tanjiro would be alright. Yet he felt a strange uneasiness even as he watched him leave. The very demon that had killed Sabito lay waiting in those mountain grounds. Giyuu could only lament that he couldn't go kill it himself.

Giyuu then gave his goodbyes as he pardoned himself. He would run back to the butterfly estate just barely in time to catch Kanao's farewells. Her two elder sisters were seeing her off before she went.

He watched as the young soon to be slayer was swarmed by a certain pair of individuals.

"You look worried." He said as he walked up to the three sisters.

They all looked at him as he approached.

"Who? Me?" Kanae said pointing to herself.

Giyuu gave her a stare that said 'not you' before turning his attention to Kanao.

"Be safe, use your training."

He wasn't really saying it for Kanao but rather for her two elder sisters.

Even though they were masking it well for Kanao, Giyuu could tell how worried they were for her by their body language alone.

"Yes, do be safe, I'll have a warm bath ready for you when you return." Kanae said as she hugged onto her oh so cute little sister.

Shinobu soon joining in on the hug.

"You best hurry, I think we've taken up enough time." Shinobu said as she broke away.

"Right." Kanae reaffirmed as she also let go.

The three pillars watched as Kanao made her way out of the estate.

They stared at the front gates for a few seconds before Giyuu said something.

"Y'know, I checked the list of participants this year."