Chapter 29

Chapter 29

My world was swaying back and forth. My mind was searching desperately for something to hold on to. The first thing it could grasp onto was a memory of Sadie when we were just kids. The scene played like a silent movie in my head. I watched as we played in the creek, splashing water at one another with the carefree look that only kids have. Such a simple time. There was no pain, no heartbreak, just me and my best friend.

The scene shifted. Now, I saw me and Catherine's seventh birthday. With the evilest look a seven year old ever had she smashed a piece of chocolate cake into my unsuspecting face. She took off running as I chased her, our mother trailing behind us with a small smile on her face.

There was more. The day I learned to ride a bike, the look of pride on my mother's face. More birthdays. More days spent with Sadie. The very few sweet moments spent with Catherine and then the day we truly became sisters. The day we found out we weren't. And Cameron. So many memories of Cameron.

We only had a short time, but we made it count. From the first day, the fear at seeing him slowly melting into something softer, something sweeter. Days spent in the old abandoned house. The break-in to the Official's office. Our night in the attic. The final goodbye. A million different emotions etched onto his face and into my mind forever. The feeling of his arms around me, a memory so vivid I almost thought I could feel them now.

My eyes opened. The world was a blue and green blur above me. I felt strong arms supporting my weight and feet pounding against the earth, which explained why the trees and sky were swaying above me. The sky and trees! I was outside!

The realization brought a lightness to my heart. I never thought I would be out in the fresh air again. I had felt so doomed to spend the rest of my days locked inside stark white rooms, but now I was free. My plan must have worked. The girls and I had beaten the Officials. I wanted to believe it so badly, but when I finally looked up to see who held me, it was Cameron. I couldn't quite recall how he fit into this. Or the reason the left side of my body was in agonizing pain.

"The girls...," I choked out between ragged breaths.

Cameron glanced down in surprise, but never slowed his stride. A look of something, (guilt maybe?) flashed across his face and I knew whatever story he had to tell was not one I would want to hear.

"I had to leave them, Kay," he replied softly. "It was the only way I could save you."

"No, no, no, no, no!" I moaned. My mind could hardly make sense of what was going on in its barely conscious state, but I knew it was bad.

"Shh, just rest, Kay. It'll all be over soon," Cameron hushed me.

"Go back....have to go back," I pleaded. He continued forward like I had never spoken.

A whispered "I'm sorry" is the last thing I hear before I blacked out for the second time that day.

* * *

The next time I woke up the world was no longer spinning. I tried to sit up and suddenly Cameron was there pushing me back down.