3 | Soft Side

• • •

• • •

Rafe's POV

Rebecca and I had lost track of the time as we began to talk, the few minutes we had only meant to talk for had turned into hours.

Nighttime had rolled around and I had gotten up from the couch to get a glass of water, coming back and finding Rebecca sleeping on the couch, a blanket cocooned around her as her head rested on the arm of the couch.

A light smile passed over my face and I set my water down back in the kitchen, walking over to the girl and gently picking her up, careful not to wake her as I walked us up the steps and through the open door to my room.

I gently pulled my covers back and laid her down, pulling the covers over her shoulders and turning off my lamp light.

"Rafe—Um...what'd going on here?" Sarah asked with a small grin on her face when she saw Rebecca sleeping in my bed.

I turned to my sister. "Shh. She fell asleep and I don't want to wake her. I figured she could sleep here."

"With you?" she raised her eyebrows.

"No. I'll crash on the couch." I answered and went to leave my room when Sarah took my arm.

"You like her. Don't you?"

I looked at my sister, then at Rebecca, then back to my sister. "No. Why would I like a Pogue?"

She smiled. "Liar."

"Whatever." I yanked my arm back and walked down the stairs into the dark living room.

As I laid there on the couch, I couldn't help but see the image of Rebecca falling asleep in my bed. Her blonde hair fanning out on the pillow. How relaxed she looked.

I shook my head to get the thought out of my mind. No. I can't be thinking like that. She's a Pogue.

Rebecca's POV

I was startled awake by my phone alarm ringing loudly.

    Looking around the unfamiliar room, I saw tan-colored paint around a large room with expensive items, a large white bookshelf and wardrobe beside a tall lamp.

    The door opened and Rafe stepped through with a wooden tray, seeing me and smiling awkwardly, walking over to me and sitting down on the edge of his bed.

    "Good morning. Did you sleep well?" Rafe said, setting the tray down on the bed.

    "I slept fine." I answered, running a hand through my blonde hair.

    "Okay. Um...I made breakfast." he said, gesturing to the eggs and bacon he had made, a small bowl of fruit on the tray along with two glasses of orange juice.