4. First day at the new job

Start from the beginning

Natural sunlight came perfectly from the tall windows, shining on two polished desks and walls covered with tall bookshelves. In front of the desks was a smaller pedestal where a rectangular blackboard and a smaller desk were. Stepping inside the room, a rich smell of books hit Madeline's nose and she felt some energy and pride filling her chest.

"This is your new workplace," the old advisor said, gesturing toward the desk and tall blackboard. "As you know, the class begins at 8 o'clock, and the royal twins will arrive here after their breakfast. In the meantime, you are free to sit and go over today's lectures. A box of chalk and a sponge are in the drawer of your desk."

"Thank you, Sir Adler," Madeline bowed to him again, lifting her skirt.

The advisor nodded and exited the room with the servant who just placed the books on Madeline's new desk.

She was left alone, taking another deep breath to immerse herself in the feeling - she had finally become an official teacher, something she had always dreamed of. Madeline smiled to herself and stepped on the pedestal, going to the board as her heels clicked behind her against the wood. She trailed her fingers across the blackboard, smiling at the traces of chalk on it. Then she approached the desk and caressed the polished oak. Pulling the small chair tucked into the desk, Madeline sat and looked at the two desks in front of her. Her class was small but she still felt contentment by being in this position.

Taking advisor Adler's advice, Madeline opened a mathematics book, going over the material she'd need to explain to two 10-year-olds who would arrive at the study in less than twenty minutes.

‿︵‿︵‿୨ ୧‿︵‿︵‿

The door of the smaller study room opened and Madeline abruptly stood up from her chair, bowing at the four royal family members.

"Good morning, Your Majesties. Good morning, Your Highnesses," she greeted them, straightening when the footsteps silenced.

Her heart started thumping nervously upon seeing the family, her small smile matching the one that the blonde queen carried.

"Good morning, Miss Simmons," the king greeted her and Madeline bowed slightly again.

"Maddie!!" two children shouted, running up to her and hugging her around the waist. They were much shorter than what she'd imagined, their heads reaching her stomach.

Madeline was taken aback by their greeting, looking up at the parents who only chuckled at their children's easygoing behavior.

"Did you bring us the legends book?" Princess Hannah looked up at Madeline first, her brother following.

"Umm..." Madeline started, looking up at the parents again. But everyone awaited her answer so she looked down at the princess again, "Uh, I'm sorry, Your Highness but... A friend who has the book is currently ill so I couldn't attain it on time for today. I am very sorry..."

Hannah's smile instantly dropped and she let go of Madeline, stepping away from her next. Without another word, the young twins sat at their desks, and the whole atmosphere in the room turned tense and cold. The big clock in the foyer echoed, the bell ringing eight times, signaling to everyone that it was 8 o'clock in the morning.

"Well, then..." the king cleared his throat and Madeline looked back at him, seemingly pushing her shoulders further back, "It is 8 o'clock, meaning that it is time for the class to begin," he glanced at his children but then back at Madeline, "Miss Simons, I am expecting a report after your classes."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Madeline bowed, lifting her skirt a bit.

The king nodded and looked back at the twins, "You children, behave. I don't want another teacher complaining about you."