| A Market Of Truths |

Start from the beginning

"Oi slow down. Do you even know where you're taking us?" snapped Scaramouche who had somehow managed to sidle up right behind me and whisper this in my ear.

I jumped in the spot at the sudden closeness of him. The way his breath tickled my ear and the strength of which he held my hand. Why hadn't he let go? Why is he so fine with holding my hand? Stop it, stop it, stop it. Stop being so...Normal about coming close to me. Have some consideration for the touch-starved...

"I have no idea where we are going. Just anywhere out of that plaza," I responded without turning around.

Seconds before we turned another corner, my sight zeroed in on more than a dozen Fatui Agents loitering around our destination. The sudden sighting of them had me coming to an abrupt halt. Scaramouche bumped into me from behind, catching himself and I from stumbling by holding my waist in one hand and arm in the other. His touch was distracting but not nearly enough to erase the oncoming headache of seeing so many Fatui around.

I cursed under my breath just as the hand holding mine once more, yanked me back. A gasp left my lips at the sudden move and within seconds, my sight was enveloped somewhere where dark ruled. As I adjusted to the sudden change in surroundings, I looked up and was met with a wary looking Scaramouche. His eyes were narrowed at the end of the stuffy alleyway he had dragged us into but none of this held my attention.

It was the distracting way that Scaramouche had sandwiched me between him and the cold wall behind me. With the slim design of the dim alleyway between two stores, there was hardly enough space for two people. He breathed heavily, his jaw tense with caution. I stared up at Scaramouche who had two hands planted against the wall on either side of my head and seemed awfully tense. So tense he hadn't seemed to notice how close his face was to mine.

It's alright though, I felt all the explosions of butterflies and nervousness and strange happiness for the both of us. He seemed preoccupied with keeping an eye out for the Fatui we were attempting to hide from.

I believe he realised that I had refrained from talking for longer than what he considered normal and got suspicious. One look down at me and I felt my breath get caught in my throat. Mind you, this is a rare occurrence when you are made of air. His gaze had a chokehold on me. Realising I'd been staring for too long, I managed to stutter an almost coherent sentence.

"Uh... That's- that's bad, right? What do we do?" I whispered.

A brief beat of silence flitted by as he watched me with an indistinguishable expression. Something seemed to amuse him because the small quirk of his lips that suggested he was attempting to conceal a smile was a terrible attempt. My heart raced at the beauty of such a rare look on his face. The moments where his cold facade had cracked continued to replay themselves over and over again.

"For once in your life, you are correct. That is bad. And I don't know what else to do but avoid them completely. I have no set appointment with the informant, they are always stationed in the tavern so we could always wait it out here. I mean... You seem to have gotten pretty comfortable," he whispered back, pointedly glancing down at my hands that had somehow found their way onto his chest.

I told myself it was definitely for the sake of keeping a respectable distance between us but it was hardly respectable when his legs were trapping mine between them and the space between our faces was only a head tilt away. Scaramouche watched me with amusement however a hint of undeniable passion was present, particularly in his eyes that glowed dangerously in contrast with the dark of the alleyway. Realising I hadn't responded due to the distracting way his gaze flickered to my lips and back to my eyes, I turned my head away to view the entrance where orange light dribbled in from outside.