Chapter 33: He knew

"Did I mention how much I hate waiting?" Hondo asked sarcastically, now sitting in a chair backwards, resting his head on the rail.

"Like a million times!" Deacon said rolling his eyes. 

"Damn!" he lamented.

"I wondered what Bonnie made for dinner. I'm still hungry." Tan lamented, shaking his head.

"I think I got a granola bar somewhere in my pack."

"Can I have it?" Tan asked

"Might as well." Deacon said shrugging both shoulders.

"You still not eating, Deac?" Hondo asked concerned.

"My stomach's usually a mess when the issue hits home." he lamented

"What do you mean?" Luca asked confused

"I can't help but to worry these perps might get someone to go after my kid. My old man used to tell me stuff the mafia did back in the day! Despicable! That's why I texted Annie to please take the kids to my in-laws. I mean, at least they wont be alone." Deacon said. Sigh.

"It'll be ok, Deac." Hondo said, reaching and playfully slapping his knee. 

More waiting. Hondo rested his back against the wall, as Luca sat next to him, watching surveillance pictures, Tan sat back on his chair and Deacon continued to stare at the floor, occasionally doing a light prayer.

"Man, I wonder what was so urgent. My phone was totally blowing up!" Hondo said breaking the silence.

"You couldn't call home?" Luca asked

"No, I texted but just when I got her response, the feds came in and we got dumped into this waiting oblivion. I was only able to read 'you wont believe'...been thinking bout it all this time."

"Maybe something good." Luca mumbled

"What?" Hondo snapped

Silence. Luca froze.

"Hold up! Do you know something, Luca?" Hondo demanded straightening up. 

Tan and Deacon exchanged frowns, then followed Hondo's stare. 

"No." Luca said trying to hide his grin.

"Luca, are you serious? You know?" Hondo said, turning the chair around and sitting down closer to him. "You better spill it!" he demanded menacingly.

Intimidated by the look of his leader, Luca turned his head to the side, avoiding the stare. "I don't know!" he blurted out.

Deacon and Tan exchanged giggles, as they stared at Luca. Hondo shook his head "I cannot believe you wouldn't tell me, Luca! I thought we were friends, man! You gonna be my baby girl's godfather and you keeping things from me? C'mon, now!"

"Look, look" Luca snapped, raising both arms up in a defensive gesture, "I don't know for sure. I thought she'd told you."

"Who? Nichelle? You've heard me all day complain bout not talking to her, Luca. Stop messing with my head." Hondo snapped

"No, not her. Your sister. Winnie."

"What?" Hondo was so confused, he turned to Tan and Deacon for guidance, but the two officers just shrugged. "Y'all know about this?" he asked pointing at the two confused officer, who just shook their heads silently. 

"I really doubt they do." Luca said slowly

"You're really bad at keeping secrets, Luca!" Tan said shaking his head disappointed. 

"I'm not, but...look!" He said, as Hondo turned to face him, "She called me this morning. Said your mom was concerned that things between you and Nichelle may be tough coz you wont stop working and she wont stop worrying bout you. So, they came up with something nice for you two after shift. I don't know the details. She just told me all I needed to do was show up in one color."