The Day That Came Again (Short Story)

London, 2011 - 10:25am.

Curses only exist in fairy tales - but I'm living in one. Right now, on this December day in London, England where the wind is howling like a wolf in the night, I, Jamie, have been living the same day over and over. No matter how hard I try to go somewhere different the next day, I never succeed. Thanks to some lady who had claimed that she could read my future, ended up telling me that she had put a curse on me with the spell of loneliness. The spell of loneliness can only be broken when I find my savior - someone who would talk to me first in this one day world. That person would be my savior - the one who I have to bring back to the lady, and the curse will be lifted. But lately, I don't even think about finding my savior in this mass of cold people. It has been two months since I was cursed, so there's no point in rushing now.

The wind was a challenger, trying to fight me as I walked down the familiar street that I had every day for the past two months. I stopped in front of the little cafe entitled 'Tea Time' and walked inside, as if I had a choice. I didn't bother to glance at the people sitting in the cafe because they were the same everyday. I went up to the counter, my legs screaming in protest for me not to move but I couldn't fight it. I ordered what I always did, and then took a seat in the usual seat where I always sit. The artificial bell sang out when someone walked into the cafe. I looked up at the person, curious as to why they were here. In the past two months that I was stuck in this curse he never walked into this cafe.

"One small tea, and a package of cookies," He spoke quietly to the cashier.

I leaned across the table feeling freer than I have in a long time. He smiled slightly at the cashier who didn't smile back, but brushed it off and took his order. He sauntered over to my table in the corner and stood next to the empty seat across from me, his light blue eyes with speckles of green and purple captured the dim lighting of the cafe.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked timidly, afraid of what would happen.

I shook my head in astonishment, watching him slowly sit down in the rusted brown chair. He un-wrapped the package of cookies he ordered, not sparing me a second glance. The only thing I could hear was the rustling of the plastic wrap from the cookies as it moved from the gentle breezes his movement created. The coldness I had felt these past two months vanished when this guy had spoken to me. I think I finally found my savior!

"Whats your name?" I asked, trying to make a light conversation.

He looked up at me, his black hair falling slightly in front of his eyes, "My name is Nate. Yours?"

"Jamie," I paused before blurting out, "Do you believe in curses?"

Nate paused, his hand frozen in mid-air a cookie clenched in his hand. His light blue eyes that once caught the dim lightning of the cafe had turned darker than the midnight's sky.

"Why?" He asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

I took a deep breath, "I know your probably not going to believe me but the reason I asked you if you believed in curses is because I'm living in one right now. Well, I have been for two months actually - thanks to this phony future-teller," I rambled on, my excitement getting the better of me.

"You're cursed too?" He asked, disbelief clouded the sound of his voice.

I looked up, my own green eyes widening just a fraction of an inch, "You mean you're cursed?"

He nodded, "I have been cursed for about three and a half months now."

"By an old lady who claimed to be a future-teller?" I asking, waiting for confirmation.

"Yes. I was cursed with the spell of loneliness."

I gasped quietly, "So was I!"

He stood up from his seat, knocking it over in the process. The people in the cafe didn't pay attention to the disturbance - which meant that the curse was not lifted yet. I remembered that we still had to go and see the old lady in town at her 'future-telling' shop where you got two readings for the price of one if you came in with a friend.

"We must go see the lady and demand she lifts this curse off of us immediately." He demanded, scooping up his cookies and depositing them in the trash behind him. He then walked out of the cafe, the artificial bell ringing once again. I trailed behind him out into the frigid December air. A few snowflakes fluttered about and down the empty London streets.

"Get in!" Nate called out.

I looked over at Nate who was now sitting in a older version of a Honda Civic, the engine roaring to life. I quickly opened the passenger door and got inside. Nate took off, speeding down the vacant streets ignoring the stoplights that were red and zooming right through them.

"Where are we going?" I asked, my voice quivering as the shops flew by.

"To have this curse lifted off since we are both each other's savior," Nate explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

By the time we got to the future-teller's shop, it was late afternoon. We both climbed out of the car and walked to the front door my feet scrapping against the cement that was used for a sidewalk, which had been propped open by a door-stopper. We walked inside quietly, looking around the shop. There were a few cardboard boxes packed against the walls that had paper labels on the front.

"Where is she?" Nate muttered to himself, checking a storage closet to the left of us.

"Where is who?" Another voice interjected.

Nate and I spun around to find a middle-aged women with salt and pepper colored hair standing in the doorway to the shop. Her purple overalls standing out against her bright white t-shirt underneath. The pair of yellow rain boots hideously clashed with the rest of her outfit.

Nate cleared his throat, "The old future-teller who had a shop here. She gave us both a 'reading' and ended up cursing us with the spell of loneliness."

"Merida?" The lady asked, shaking her head, her face filled with sorrow, "She passed away a few weeks ago."

"S-She passed away?" Nate choked out, his light blue eyes filled with furry.

The lady nodded, "I am so sorry for your troubles."

"What are we supposed to do now?" Nate asked, turning towards me.

I ran a hand through my hair, "Maybe we should ask that lady that was just -"

I looked up, my mouth falling open in surprise. Nate turned back around and faced the doorway. The middle-aged women with the clashing outfit and the salt and pepper colored hair was gone, and so were the packed up brown flimsy boxes. We were now standing in a bare room, nothing surrounding us. We were alone.

We were alone, once again. Just like all of the other days have been these past two months.

~*~

We had to write a narrative essay for language arts, and this is what I wrote. My teacher really loved it and told me that I did an excellent job on it ... Haha, I had the best comment in the class(not bragging, just sayin') and I really would like to know what you guys think of it since it's not a .. Fan fiction. *gasp*

Anyway, please comment, telling me if you like this kind of story that I wrote even though it's not a fan fiction.

I don't think I could write a regular story like this one, because I write fan fictions better. Okay, that is all. :)