Chapter 2

As I sat there, two explanations came to view.

The first, this letter was false and someone was playing a prank on me. If so, it wasn't funny, and I was going to personally make sure they never did anything like this again.

Second, if this letter was real, Sylvia was alive and needed my help.

I badly wanted the last one to be true, but I had seen Sylvia die. She had had a funeral, and was buried. At least, I think she was. They said they were going to bury her after we left.

But what if they didn't?

In movies, people sometimes had a medicine or a potion that made their heart stop beating, but they were still alive. Could something like that be real? And if so, why wouldn't Sylvia tell me, instead of letting me believe she was dead?

Questions swam around in my head, like angry bees. I couldn't answer any of them, and the buzzing was making me dizzy.

I folded up the letter, and carefully placed it in the pillowcase under my bed. As long as no one looked for it, it would be safe there.

A knock on the door made me jump. "Cindy? Are you coming down for dinner? Mom's looking for you," It was Ella, my new four year old sister.

I remembered what the letter said about my behaving normally. Until I could prove the letter was fake, I should probably do what it said. 

"I'm coming," I called to her. Taking one last look at my bed to make sure it looked natural, I left. Ella was still out in the hallway. She reached out for a piggy-back ride. I smiled and lifted her up. Dispite their large number, she was the only one of my new siblings I felt comfterable around. "What's for dinner?" I asked her.

"Don't know," She replied in her chirpy child's voice.

"Why not?" I asked, humoring her.

"I can't see over the table," She grumbled, and I laughed.

"Don't worry. You'll grow." I assured her and walked into the big, brightly-lit room that was our dining room.

To a stranger, looking into this room, or even this house, they would think we had way too much stuff. But with fourteen people living under one roof, you kinda accumulate a lot. 

I set Ella down and she ran along the table to her seat, just as James strolled in.

A word about James, before you meet him. He's a world-class idiot, who thinks he rules the world because he has so many children. He's a nice guy though, when it comes to it, and he works hard at his job as a buissnessman.

"Hello, everyone!" He called jovaly to us. "Allen! You're here alredy! That's wonderful!"

As he went over to embrce his son, I sudenly felt sick. I mean, wish-you-were-dead stomach ache, mixed with, 'Is-there-a-knife-going-through-my-skull?' headache. I moaned, and put my head on my arms.

Suddenly, I was in a dark forest, running. I was taller than normal, and my hair was darker and a lot longer. I knew I had to get away fast. Just as I formed that thought, a huge explotion echoed through the trees.

I lunged behind a large boulder, as a wall of fire came shooting past me. As it rushed past, I could feel the heat, it was like all my pores were on fire, and I was slowly melting. As suddenly as it had come, it was gone.

  I was breathing hard, but quietly. I had a feeling it wasn't over yet. I serched either side of the rock for danger, but came up empty. Then it dawned on me. Like the most cliched horror film ever, I looked up.

"AAAAAAH!" I jerked awake.

James and Allen broke apart sudenly, and everyone stared at me, alarmed.

"Sorry, I thought I saw a mouse," I lied.

Everyone bought it, and began to eat, though the adults sent me cautious looks throughout the meal. 

After dinner, we went into the living room for some family time. As I sat listening to James's stupid jokes, I thought of that face I had seen staring down at me.

I couldn't remember it exactly, but I know it wasn't like anything I'd ever seen before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment and vote if you like it! Spoiler:-Sebatian Pierce comes up in the next chapter. He's a little wierd, but I won't give anything else away.