'No problem.'
'By the way, keep the number if you want. I understand what it means to you.'

'Thank you.'

She put her phone down again, feeling a rush of emotion flow through her body.
No words in this world could describe how much she missed her mother.

'She would've wanted you to do what is best for you.'

But, the truth was, Lilia didn't know what was best for her. Did she really love him? To be in love with someone within such a tiny time frame didn't seem possible to her. She really did want to open up; to let Max in, and get to know him.. but her brain just wouldn't allow it. Every single time she got close, she stopped herself.  And especially now, after Max told her what his father said, her brain just took that and ran with it; used it as another reason to push him away. There was only negatives in her mind, now. She closed the laptop, knowing that she just needs to switch off from all of this and try and find a calm state of mind instead.

The next morning, Lilia woke up feeling rejuvenated; prepared and motivated for the testing session, and she decided that to keep her mind clear she should try and steer clear of Max that morning. She still didn't know exactly what to do, but she figured that perhaps just being friends would be the best solution considering Max's father was so disapproving, and Lilia knew her own father would be, too. And what's more, there was Kelly. Lilia didn't know her at all- they've never even spoken- and getting involved with another woman's boyfriend wasn't in her nature.

So, she got changed into a new colourful tracksuit: it was purple and blue, as advised by the fashion guru of the paddock, Lewis Hamilton, and headed to the track.

***

She drove carefully by a group of fans who were outside the track, waving and smiling at them. For once, she actually managed to sign some caps without the chaos. Because this wasn't an actually race day, there were way less people. Usually it was like a swarm of bees to a hive.

"Hey." Her teammate said as he appeared next to her, signing one of the fans shirts.
"Hi." She said.

After all of the taking pictures and giving autographs, they went to the garage.

".. How are you?" Max asked her as they walked.
"I'm fine. You?" She asked.
"Yeah, I'm good." He said with a smile. "I'm only asking because I thought you seemed a bit off yesterday." He added.
"Oh. Really? Sorry.. I wasn't feeling too well.. but I'm fine, honestly." She half lied to him.
"Oh right, well you better not give me any sickness bugs." He said, laughing softly.
She smiled. "Hm.. If you annoy me I'll cough on you." She said.
"You wouldn't.." He said.
She raised her eyebrows at him and pretended that she was about cough. He covered his face and turned his head away, laughing.
"God, you nearly made me give myself whiplash." He said.
"It's just part of my plan. You can't race with whiplash." She said.
"Wow.. Pure evil." He said.

They arrived at the garage giggling between each other, but then all fell silent as they were both greeted by the sight of their fathers talking with each other a few feet away. They exchanged a knowing look and separated themselves; acted as if they hadn't even acknowledged each other.

"Dad?" Lilia said, walking closer.
"Hi Lili." He said, smiling, as if he never sent those awful text messages just the other night. He looked well, too.
"You tested negative?" She asked.
"Yes, just last night. I booked the flight over here as soon as I knew." He said.
She smiled half heartedly. "Well.. I need to go prepare for the session." She said.
"Okay, I'll see you after." He said.
"Yeah.." she said, walking away quickly to her driver room.

Just a few seconds after she closed the door behind her, there was a knock.

"Who is it?" She asked.
"Me." Her teammate said.
She opened the door to Max. "I don't know who 'me' is, but luckily I can recognise your squeaky voice." She said.
"It's not squeaky!" He said.
"It really is." She said.
"Whatever. I just came to see if you were alright." He said.
"Didn't I already say I was fine?" She said.
"You're always fine." He said.
"Yeah? Maybe that's because I just am. Why do you sound like some kind of therapist right now?" She said.
"Lilia, I know about your dad."
"And I know about yours."
He bit his cheek. "Yeah,.. you got me there." He said.