Chapter Sixty-Three.

Start from the beginning

"No!" shrieked Hermione. "Professor Umbridge— it's illegal—" but Umbridge took no notice. There was a nasty, eager, excited look on her face. She raised her mind. "The Minister wouldn't want you to break the law, Professor Umbridge!" cried Hermione.

"What Cornelius doesn't know won't hurt him," said Umbridge, who was now panting slightly as she pointed her wand at different parts of Harry's body in turn, apparently trying to decide what would hurt the most.

"Yeah? Won't know?" (Y/n) mused, looking in a specific corner of the room. 

"Yes," Umbridge said. "He never know I ordered dementors after Potter last summer, but he was delighted to be given the chance to expel him, all the same..."

"It was you?" gasped Harry. "You sent dementors after me?"

"Somebody had to act," breathed Umbridge as her wand came to rest pointing directly at Harry's forehead. "They were all bleating about silencing you somehow— discrediting you— but I was the one who actually did something about it... Only you wriggled out of that one, didn't you, Potter? Not today, though, not now..." And taking a deep breath, she cried, "Cruc—"

"NO!" shouted Hermione in a cracked voice from behind Millicent Bulstrode. "No— Harry— Harry, we'll need to tell her!"

"No way!" yelled Harry, staring at the little of Hermione he could see.

"We'll have to Harry, she'll force it out of you anyway, what's... what's the point...?" And Hermione began to cry weakly into the back of Millicent's robes. Millicent stopped trying to squash her against the wall immediately and dodged out of her way, looking disgusted.

"Well, well, well!" said Umbridge, looking triumphant. "Little Miss Question-All is going to give us some answers! Come on then, girl, come on!"

"Er— my— nee— no!" shouted Ron through his gag.

Ginny was staring at Hermione as though she had never seen her before; Neville, still choking for breath, was gazing at her too. (Y/n) had an almost knowing look on her face. Despite Hermione's desperate sobs into her hands, there was no trace of a tear.

"I'm— I'm sorry everyone," said Hermione. "But— I can't stand it—"

"That's right, that's right, girl!" said Umbridge, seizing Hermione by the shoulders, thrusting her into the abandoned chintz and leaning over her. "Now then... with whom was Potter communicating just now?"

"Well," gulped Hermione into her hands, "well, he was trying to speak to Professor Dumbledore..." Ron froze, his eyes wide; Ginny stopped trying to stamp on her Slytherin captor's toes; even Luna looked mildly surprised.

"Dumbledore?" said Umbridge eagerly. "You know where Dumbledore is, then?"

"Well... no!" sobbed Hermione. "We've tried the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and the Three Broomsticks and even the Hog's Head—"

"Idiot girl, Dumbledore won't be sitting in a pub when the whole Ministry's looking for him!" shouted Umbridge, disappointment etched in every sagging line of her face.

"But— but we needed to tell him something important!" wailed Hermione, holding her hands more tightly over her face. 

"Yes?" said Umbridge with a sudden resurgence of excitement. "What was it you wanted to tell him?"

"We... we wanted to tell him it's r-ready!" choked Hermione.

"What's ready?" demanded Umbridge, now grabbing Hermione's shoulders again and shaking her slightly. "What's ready, girl?"

"The... the weapon," said Hermione.

"Weapon? Weapon?" said Umbridge and her eyes seemed to pop with excitement. "You have been developing some method of resistance? A weapon you could use against the Ministry? On Professor Dumbledore's orders, of course?"