the lift brings me up to studio level and as i walk down the hall towards 3, i spot a friend coming from the other direction.

"hey y/n." she smiles. i stare back at the teasing look in her eye.

"hey lauren. album mode or what?"

"oh yeah."

"ouuu i'm excited. well please let me know if you need assistance."

"i'll definitely be hitting you up soon. need to get alone in the booth with you for sure." she fully turns around to face me still as we continue going our separate ways.

i turn around too. "well. you have my number." i laugh. "i'll be waiting on your call."

"mhm." she grins at me one last time before finally turning back forward as do i, and i walk through the awaiting door of studio 3.

"you know, flirting all loud n' out in the open like that is exactly how motherfuckers get caught up round here."

i roll my eyes. "not flirting.. and i'm single. how can i get caught up?"

"don't act like you don't have hoes. i know how they get."

"oh my god- anyways." i flop next to her on the couch, nodding a quick hello to the engineer who quietly laughed at doja's comments. "what we workin on?"  

"alright so i have the concept and most of the verse and chorus down. i just need your help to fill in the gaps."

"okay, i'll try my best." i smile lazily.

she turns to the engineer, "play that funky music white boy."

"yes ma'am."

he plays the track and the first 8 bars was just the beat intro, 'love the beat' i comment in passing.

"thanks. i didn't touch this one at all but thanks anyways."

i laugh and continue to listen.

love, got me fucked up, got me on stuck, chasin that rush

that's about all she had down for the chorus and the rest was filled with incoherent filler to structure the harmony and flow. it was already hard as hell though. her verse had a few gaps that i'd get around to as well. i really loved the ends of the verses that led into the chorus.

we listened a few times, per my request, as i got a feel of it.

"i love the cadence on this already, i think it's really something and we should definitely run with it. but i think on the build up- like really on the peak of the chorus we could get really simple. some oos or aahs maybe."

"you know i was thinking the same thing but i wasn't sure. did you have anything in mind for the rest of it?"

i look up to the left, deep in thought. i turn to the engineer. "hi. i'm sorry- what was your name by the way?"

he smiles warmly. "mike. nice to meet you."

"shit my bad that's mike." doja speaks up from the couch.