One World, One People

As the two were asleep they got a call from Sam stating that a lead was found so they got clean and dressed before they start making their way to the GRC meetinf in Manhattan. Once they got their Sam and Bucky was speaking in the comms. "We're almost there. What's the plan?" Bucky asked. 

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open." Sam told him. 

"Well, it could be anybody." Bucky told him as the two walked passed the officer. 

"Sergeant Barnes, Sergeant Jones." The officer greeted.  

"And by the way, I called in some backup." Sam told him. 

"Excuse me, sir. Are you supposed to be here?" Bucky asked the officer. 

"It's me." Sharon said through the helmet. 

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" Marissa asked.  

"Relax. No one's looking for me here." Sharon told her annoyed already. 

"Do I hear Sharon?" Sam asked them

"Unfortunately. Hey, Sam. I thought I'd get the band back together." Sharon said.  

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam told her sincerely. 

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway. Depends on the therapist." Sharon said. 

"They're gonna move on the building soon. Be ready." Sam told them.  "Sharon, Bucky, Marissa, what's going on on your end?" He asked.  

"Nothing. All quiet." Marissa answered.  

"It's a misdirect. We gotta keep everybody inside." Sam told them. The two walked through the hallway as someone stopped him. 

"Mr. Barnes, it's Karli." The person told him. He looked over at Marissa as he nodded his head. 

"Go ahead I'll catch up." He told her. She nodded her head as she keeps walking heading to the place until she was stopped by another super soldier. As they were fighting they got on a beam with Marissa on the edge getting balanced right as the woman was about to push her off the beam with a truck coming for both of them, she jumped up grabbing a beam above them and used as much glass as she could to hold the truck back from rolling off so it wouldn't kill the people inside. As she was hanging on the truck was breaking the glass slowly and dangerously as the woman was trying to fight her more. The woman she was fighting slipped off as Marissa tried to help but couldn't before she dropped into the beam and used both hands on the breaking glass. Soon enough someone came and grabbed the truck trying to pull it up on the safest part of the  the building. Come to find out when the truck is safely up there, it was Bucky and John that pulled the truck up. As they were getting the people out of the truck, Marissa walked on the beam to the floor walking over to the two. 

"Everyone okay?" She asked. 

"Yeah everyone's okay. Are you?" Bucky asked her concerned. 

"Yeah I'm okay." She answered before the two kissed in relieve and walked with Walker. 

"Now you, Lincoln, really?" Bucky asked Walker. 

"Great man. Great quote." Walker told them.  

"Not when you say it." Bucky told them.  The three separated to the two heading to Sam hearing the reporters and the senator. 

"Sincerely. You did your part in dealing with those terrorists, now we'll do ours." The Senator told him. 

"Are you still going forward with resetting the borders?" Sam asked. 

"Our peacekeeping troops will begin relocating people soon. The terrorists only set us back a bit." The Senator answered. 

"You have to stop calling them terrorists. What else would we call them? Your peacekeeping troops carrying weapons are forcing millions of people into settlements around the world, right? What do you think those people are gonna call you? These labels, "terrorists", "refugee", "thug", they're often used to get around the question, why?" Sam asked.  

"Those settlements that happened five years ago, do you think it is fair for governments to have to support them?" Lacont asked. 

"Yes." Sam answered. 

"And the people who reappeared only to find someone else living in their family home, they just end up homeless? Look, I get it. But you have no idea how complicated this situation is." The Senator tried to explain. 

"You know what? You're right. And that's a good thing. We finally have a common struggle now. Think about that. For once, all the people who've been begging, and I mean, literally begging for you to feel how hard any given day is... Now you know. How did it feel to be helpless? Now if you could remember what it was like to be helpless and face a force so powerful it could erase half the planet, you would know that you're about to have the exact same impact. This isn't about easy decisions, Senator." he explained.  

"You just don't understand." The Senator tried to throw at him. 

"I'm a Black man carrying the stars and stripes. What don't I understand? Every time I pick this thing up, I know there are millions of people out there who are gonna hate me for it. Even now, here... I feel it. The stares, the judgment. And there's nothin' I can do to change it. Yet, I'm still here. No super serum, no blond hair, or blue eyes. The only power I have is that I believe we can do better. We can't demand that people step up if we don't meet them halfway. Look, you control the banks. shit, you can move borders! You can knock down a forest with an email, you can feed a million people with a phone call. But the question is, who's in the room with you when you're making those decisions? Hmm? Is it the people you're gonna impact? Or is it just more people like you? I mean, this girl died trying to stop you, and no one has stopped for one second to ask why. You've gotta do better, Senator. You've gotta step up. Because if you don't, the next Karli will. And you don't wanna see 2.0. People believed in her cause so much that they helped her defy the strongest governments in the world. Why do you think that is? Look, you people have just as much power as an insane god or a misguided teenager. The question you have to ask yourself is, "How are you going to use it?"" Sam explained before he walked away over to a smiling Bucky and Marissa. 

"Sorry, I was, uh, I was texting and so, all I heard was, um, "a Black guy in stars and stripes"." Bucky said as they all chuckled. Marissa ignored the rest as she walks looking at Sharon thinking on whether to kill her now or wait till later. 

Later on Bucky and Marissa were back in Bucky's apartment both thinking on what to do next. They got out of their suits and in comfortable normal clothes as they looked back at each other, Bucky getting his shoes on. "Where are you going?" She asked. 

"I got one more person to make amends to. I'll be back soon." He told her as he kissed her lips. 

"Okay. See you soon." She said with a soft smile. He smiled as he headed out. She went to her phone deleting the other men's numbers thats not avengers or him. She put her phone away before she stood up walking around the apartment thinking glad that everything is over.