ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21

♫ You turned your back on tomorrow
'Cause you forgot yesterday ♫

Mia Bakker POV

We went out to dinner and Max chose the best restaurant he knew in the city, it was our first time out as a family, we always preferred staying home and it was being great. The place was stunning, a great view of Monaco was right where we were and the waiters were the nicest.

"Who is that woman looking at us?" I hear Victoria asks looking behind me and Max, he shrugs and keeps playing with Em. I look back and there is Megan, is she stalking us or what?

"Max, it's Megan. She is coming over here and she seems alone again" I whisper and he laughs.

"Don't worry, I will take care of her" He says not even looking away from Em.

"She's Megan, she interviewed Max a few times. She seems really happy to see him. We saw her yesterday at dinner too" I say before she gets here and roll my eyes watching Victoria and Sophie letting out a laugh.

"Max! I thought I had seen you. What a coincidence" She says like she just won the lottery and I take a sip of the wine that was in my cup.

"Is it really a coincidence tho?" I ask and she seems offended or pretends to, I don't trust her.

"What do you mean Mia? I wouldn't know where you and Max would be. They must be the rest of the family. Your son is such an awesome man, he exhales such a powerful energy" She says looking at Sophie and I roll my eyes, I hear a laugh and it's Max. I look at him wanting him pretty dead at that moment and he gets quiet quickly.

"My son really is something else. Thank you" Sophie says pretty short on her answer.

"As you can see this is a family dinner so thank you for coming but your table will be occupied if you don't get there quickly" I say and she ignores me. Again.

"So is this a family dinner? Do you consider an ex as family?" She asks with a smirk and they all got so serious. Their smiles disappeared.

"She is my granddaughter's mother. She is like a daughter to me since she was born. She is family" Sophie says and she clearly hated her too.

"I mean I understand she is her mother but maybe some distance would be healthy for both. Co-parenting can be hard that way. It's harder to introduce newer people in the picture" She says resting her hand on Max's shoulder and I was fuming.

"There are no new people to introduce darling. You can leave. Now" I say getting up and we stand face to face. Max's hand softly grabs my wrist but he knew what was happening. I was done with her.

"I'm sorry if I offended you, Mia. But you should know your place as an ex, you left him and you came back for Emilia, you know there's going to be new people. Kelly looks like is not in the picture so maybe he has other interests" She says and I laugh.

"You didn't offend me. You talk too much for an interviewer. You don't know as much as you think you do so I would suggest you to back off. And I hope I never have to see your face again. You are unprofessional, extremely pushy, and rude. Mind your own business before I get pissed off" I say and sit down again.

"I should go but I honestly can see why it didn't work. Your personalities are too similar" She says turning her back.

"Megan. You are crossing more lines than I want to count. We always worked together and we always will. Let's keep our relationship on a professional level. Having a drink once or twice after the interviews with the team there didn't make us friends or whatever you think we are" Max says and she nods, leaving for her table.

"What a fucking bitch" Victoria says and we all look at Emilia who, thankfully, was distracted from talking to Tom.

"I don't like her. Such a pick me" I say and they laugh.

"You don't like her because she wants your man" Sophie says laughing.

"I don't like that too, but she got too personal for my taste" I say and the silence made me think of what I just said. Oh.

"So. Am I your man now? Do you want to make that clear?" Max asks with a huge smirk on his face.

"It was not that. I know women want you, you are rich, attractive, and pretty manly. You are definitely not my man though. They can go ahead, let them try it" I say and he laughs.

"They can go ahead? Do you think I won't accept them?" He asks looking offended and I laugh too.

"You can accept them but you are also pretty hard to deal with. I mean I knew you forever so I can handle you, but you have a different personality with other women, I've seen it over the last few months. They would get tired of you seeming cold and arrogant. But you aren't like that though" I say shrugging and he nods.

"I don't want them though, that's why I have to keep a distance" He says and our order finally arrives.

"This is good" Em says happily and we laugh.

"It is baby" Max says passing his hand through her hair and she smiles.

We keep eating and it was clearly delicious. I ended my meal and Victoria asked us if we could take a walk after leaving the restaurant. She feels like she can digest food better if she takes a small walk after. Max and Tom went ahead talking and with the kids and we went behind them talking.

"Do you still love him?" Sophie asks after a few seconds of silence.

"I mean- Of course, I do. I never stopped loving him. It just had to be done and I broke both of our hearts" I say and they smile.

"I wish you could try it again. It wasn't something you two wanted and he is the happier he could ever be" Victoria says with a huge smile.

"I would like to try again too but I will leave that choice for him. I broke his heart, he needs to want this. I won't put myself above him" I say and they nod.

"He loves you. He felt some love for Dilara but it was never the same. His heart wasn't all in but he would die for you in a heartbeat. I think he will talk about it soon"

"I will talk about it when he wants too. We have time to get things together. I will understand that he doesn't want to take the risk and if he wants I will go ahead too" I say and they look happy.

"I would love to see you two together but I love seeing you both happy too. We are here to support you" Sophie says and I hug her. She is my second mom. I couldn't have a better family.