"Miss Ramsey, Miss Bywood. I take it you are enjoying the performances?" I heard Mama give a huff as I twisted in my seat to face them.

Miss Bywood had a more serene expression on her face. "Indeed, although I am disappointed I haven't seen certain people here tonight."

"She really means she is distressed not to have encountered a certain person," Miss Ramsey said, her tone teasing. "That is why we young ladies come to London, isn't it, Miss Burnham? To find a husband and ensure our future?"

She wasn't wrong, but I was amazed at her outspokenness. "Are congratulations in order, Miss Bywood?"

"Oh, no. I am hopeful, of course, but the gentleman has not made me an offer of marriage yet," Miss Bywood said swiftly, though her cheeks flushed a becoming shade of pink. "But, let us discuss the music. What has been your favorite song, Miss Burnham?"

How I wished I'd been able to concentrate! "I'm afraid I couldn't choose just one," I said, hedging carefully. "Has one especially moved you?"

"Oh, yes!" Miss Ramsey said before her friend could. "The beginning aria was beautiful! I intend to ask my parents to hire a master to teach me to sing in the same manner."

"Nothing would drive Lucas up a wall faster," Miss Bywood said with a laugh.

That was a name I hadn't heard before. "Lucas?" I repeated. "Who is that?"

"Just my brother, who is off on a Grand Tour," she explained, dismissively waving her hand. "As Phoebe and I grew up next to each other, we know all the ways to annoy him. You have sisters, don't you? You know what I mean."

"I'm afraid my sisters are the ones who know how to irritate." I saw Mr. Landon coming through the crowd with two glasses in his hands.

Something in my expression must have changed for both young ladies twisted around. "Good evening, Mr. Landon," Miss Ramsey said. "I am delighted to see you again. I had no idea we would find you here tonight."

Were they acquainted? Of course, why wouldn't they know each other? It wasn't as though there were so many people in town that Mr. Landon wouldn't have met them at some point. The logic did nothing to ease the flare of jealousy. They were so much prettier than I.

"I would have been surprised if you had known my evening schedule, Miss Ramsey," Mr. Landon said as he stepped around them. He held a glass out to me. "I hope this is acceptable, Miss Burnham."

Murmuring my thanks, I took the glass and sipped the liquid without tasting it. Mama also accepted the offering and thanked him, though she continued gossiping with her friend. His duty discharged, Mr. Landon faced the other two young ladies.

"Perhaps you can give us a more detailed opinion on the performances," Miss Ramsey said with a giggle. "I believe Miss Burnham's attention was elsewhere.

"Indeed? She appeared to be most attentive to me," the man said, raising his eyebrows. "Perhaps she is reserving her opinion until she has heard everything the evening has to offer. We cannot yet know whether the second part will not be more exceptional than the first half."

His unsolicited defense of me warmed my heart, though I couldn't expect anything different from a gentleman and it was not the reaction Miss Ramsey expected. She bid me farewell and pulled Miss Bywood away with her.

"Have you been acquainted with Miss Ramsey and Miss Bywood for long?" Mr. Landon asked as he sat down.

"No," I said in surprise. Did he mean to ask me what I knew of them? Why did my mind immediately have to be suspicious? "I was fortunate to have made their acquaintance this year. They came from the country to enjoy the season."

Mr. Landon gave a slight nod. "I should have guessed," he said, almost too low for me to hear. "They called upon my mother earlier this week, and my mother enjoyed their company."

"I've not yet met Mrs. Landon, but I look forward to the pleasure." That was the closest I could get to hinting at my interest in knowing his family better without coming right out and saying it.

He smiled at me and nodded again. He said nothing more as everyone began to take their seats once again. I resisted the urge to sigh in frustration.

****

With everything that had occurred the evening before on my mind, I made my way down the stairs. Miss Graham had agreed to walk with me. There wasn't any particular destination I had in mind. I merely wished to be out of the house.

"Miss Burnham."

Although my father being away affected me very little, it did mean I had to encounter the young man who often assisted my father with his government concerns. Father had been gone for a week, and Mr. Harper had been in our house nearly every day.

"Good day, Mr. Harper."

"You are looking as lovely as ever," Mr. Oswyn Harper said as he crossed the hall. He paused to offer the proper bow. "Off to enjoy the day?"

Somehow, I couldn't believe him when he said those words as I did when Mr. Landon said them. Perhaps it was because I'd known Mr. Harper for several years, for he had been a frequent visitor in the past two years. But maybe that meant he was more sincere with the compliment? Since I was only confusing myself, I pushed that absurd question from my mind. "Mr. Harper, surely you know that my father is away."

He gave a light laugh. "Yes, I do. Yet, the need for correspondence to be looked after does not vanish simply because your father is away."

I honestly had no idea what my father did for the government. It couldn't be any great position, could it? "Well, I'm sure Bridges will assist you."

"Just as your new lady's maid assists you?"

How did he know so much about what went on in the house? He must have seen my surprise for he gave another laugh. "I crossed paths with the young woman this morning, and of course I heard much about your mother's dissatisfaction with her search. Does this Julie Nelson meet all expectations?"

That was a strange question. "Indeed," I said, unwilling to expound on the subject. "Good day, Mr. Harper."

"Good day, Miss Burnham."

With relief, I continued on my way. For some reason, Mr. Harper always managed to unsettle me. He had a way of making it seem as though he could look right through me.

Not that I had anything to hide, save for the inclination of my heart. Surely that was of little interest to anyone but myself.