Miss Graham looked as though she either wanted to pull her hair out or strangle them both. They were my own sisters, and I could sympathize with the feeling. Motion at the doorway caught my attention, and I realized that Nelson was there.

That could only mean one thing. "Nelson, does Mama want me?"

The young woman turned her gaze to me. "Yes, Miss Burnham," she said. "I believe she has news she wishes to impart."

"You're the new maid?" Calliope asked, her tone incredulous. Her quarrel was apparently forgotten. "But Mary said that you were a horrible, ugly—"

I opened my mouth to stop her, but I didn't have to. "My hair's a mess, Nelson," Daphne interrupted, imperiously. "You must fix it. Immediately."

Though I knew my sister's personality, even that demand surprised me. She'd given her word not to make any mischief, so was this her new tactic to cause trouble? Still, I was interested to see how Nelson would react.

Nelson stared at Daphne, one eyebrow raised as though she astonished at the order. "Miss Daphne, I am not required to fix your hair," she said as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. "I believe you ought to speak to Mary or do so yourself." She turned her gaze to me once again. "Miss Burnham, your Mother wished to speak to you as soon as possible."

I bit back a smile. "Yes. I must not keep Mama waiting," I said, getting to my feet. "Calliope, Daphne. Listen to Miss Graham and do your schoolwork. You don't want to be outside today, anyway. It's far too wet."

"I'm going to tell mama that you were disrespectful!" Daphne called after Nelson as I moved to the door. "Just you wait! You'll lose your position!"

"Certainly, Miss Daphne." How did Nelson manage to remain so calm? "Of course, your mother is free at any time you wish to do so. Shall I inform her that you will be coming to speak to her later on?"

She closed the door behind herself and then faced me. "You are the strangest lady's maid I have ever met," I couldn't keep from saying. All the other lady's maids had never put my sisters in their place in such a manner.

A flush spread up her neck, and she shifted her gaze away from mine. "Your mother was most insistent that you come to her now, Miss Burnham." Her tone was gentle, and she gestured for me to go ahead of her.

****

Mama was still in her bed, and she held a letter in her hands. "Eugenia, all is going according to plan!" she exclaimed as I crossed the room. "We have been invited to Lady Jersey's ball next week!"

"What?" Shocked, I sank onto the side of her bed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nelson at the dressing table, the gentle clink of bottles knocking against each other. "Are you certain?"

"Here, read for yourself," Mama said, pushing the letter into my hands.

To my surprise, the words on the paper said precisely as she had said. "But Mama, who would have done this for us? We do not know Lady Jersey, and she is not the sort to extend an invitation for no reason at all. I thought you said all of your acquaintances refused to make an introduction."

"Isn't it obvious, my dear? Landon is certainly the one behind it!"

It was quite the most ridiculous thing she'd said. "Mama, he would never have done such a thing," I protested, feeling my cheeks burning with embarrassment. "It would mean that we were practically engaged, and we are not! I've only conversed with him a few times!"

"Of course, perhaps you could do better," Mama said, completely ignoring what I had said. She took the letter from me. "There are a few titled men this season who might be on the lookout for a young wife. Anyone of them will make an excellent husband for you if we overlook a few youthful indiscretions. And a first son is always more desirable than a second."

"Mama!"

First she is delighted that I had 'caught' Mr. Landon's eye, and then she believes I could do better? I was beginning to think that it wouldn't matter what kind of match I made; it wouldn't be good enough in Mama's eyes.

"Eugenia, your hair looks terrible!" Mama said, pulling me from my thoughts. "Julie, what were you thinking? This will not do at all!"

But Nelson hadn't arranged my hair— "I will see to it immediately," Nelson said, before I could even think of any kind answer that would not bring down my mother's disapproval. "Miss Burnham requested Mary assist her dressing this morning, therefore I—"

"It is not Mary's job to dress Eugenia; it is yours!" Mama sent a glare at Nelson, interrupting the maid. "Really, I made this clear when we discussed your duties. Eugenia, you will do well to remember this yourself!"

"But Mary knows all sorts of tricks for working with my hair!" I said, defending my actions. "I thought it simpler if Nelson was able to focus on you, Mama! She is your maid, after all."

"Well, I am not the one who must attract a husband, am I? You must have a care about your appearance, my dear. Especially now we will be attending Lady Jersey's ball!"

"I cannot understand why you will not allow Mary to be my personal lady's maid if you are so concerned with my appearance! You will never be satisfied with the results if Nelson must see to us both!"

"Eugenia, enough," Mama said, raising a hand to her head. "It is far too early to be arguing over such trivial matters. I can feel a megrim coming on."

There was much more I wanted to say on the matter, but of course, Mama was in such a state that it would have been useless. "Of course, Mama, I'm sorry to have distressed you. Thank you for telling me the good news. I will join you when we make our calls this afternoon."

Nelson followed me to my room. Irritated with myself and the whole situation, I said nothing as I sat in front of my mirror. The maid also kept her thoughts to herself as she attempted to tame my hair.

It wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us. In the end, though, my hair was adequately contained in a tight chignon. I could only be thankful Nelson chose not to create a more fashionable look with curls. It wouldn't have worked.

"I hope you have an enjoyable time visiting, Miss Burnham," she said when I got to my feet. Her tone was sincere with an almost fond note.

"Thank you." I still couldn't bring myself to trust her.