My eyes were the best part of my appearance, but a gentleman would have to be close indeed to recognize it. And one excellent feature was not enough to attract attention, although Miss Elizabeth Bennet had earned Mr. Darcy's attention with her 'fine eyes' in Pride and Prejudice.

Mama had told me repeatedly that I wasn't pretty and that my modest dowry wouldn't be any help. She'd said I would have to rely on my wits and adornments on my gowns to catch a husband. A difficult task when I had hair with a mind of its own and no one to show me how to tame it.

Since I'd danced with and then had a conversation with Mr. Landon at the Russells' house, Mama was sure everything was going as she desired. In her mind, the young man would soon throw himself at my feet and declare an undying passion for me.

Somehow, after only a few meetings, I did not believe he was that enamored with me. After all, a second son like him would need to marry someone with a sizable dowry, even if he did own an estate. It only made sense.

With a sigh, I shook my head. Why did finding a respectable husband have to be so complicated? Not that the gentlemen I'd met were not honorable, but I couldn't find it in me to flirt to catch their attention as other girls did.

"You'll meet the right man," I said to my reflection. "He will be someone who does not care that your hair is beyond help and you're not a diamond of the first water."

I gave a sharp nod and turned away. Until such a man was found, I would need to be patient.

Unfortunately, patience was not one of my strong points.

****

The entirety of the next day was spent with my book while Mama was occupied with interviewing applicants to the position. Miss Graham ignored my presence in the schoolroom until she sent my sisters off to play. Then, she approached me.

"Forgive me for being snappish yesterday," she said. "I had not taken into consideration how much your mother has refused to teach you how to manage a household."

"She has not refused," I said, confused by her words. "I know all I need."

Miss Graham shook her head, a frown creasing her forehead. "You are too young to know everything, Eugenia."

"That's not what I said. I just don't think it's fair to accuse Mama of not teaching me what it takes to run a household." It was true that my mother hadn't taken much time to instruct me over the years, but I'd learned from the governesses who had taught me over the years. "She always made sure my sisters and I had someone to oversee our education."

"Of course." The smile that played on her lips, though, told me she wasn't convinced. "Did you mention Miss Nelson's name?"

Resisting the urge to heave a sigh, I nodded. "I did, but I am not sure Mama was paying any attention when I did."

My response made Miss Graham shake her head. "At least you shall soon be able to go about without shame."

"I haven't looked that bad."

"You certainly haven't looked your best."

She didn't do much to boost my confidence, but I could always count on her to be honest. "Why did Bridges never mention this Miss Nelson before?" I asked, curious.

"She had a satisfactory position, and had no desire to search for another one," Miss Graham said in a tone that hinted I should have guessed the answer for myself. "What does it matter as long as she fills the position and assists you to look your best? A young lady, such as yourself, needs someone on whom she can rely."

She'd never before taken such an interest in Mama's maid before. "I am certain that whoever Mama hires will be suitable." I ran my hand along the page of my book. "There's only so much anyone can do to make me look passable, you know."

"If you think to find some flattery from me, you will not do so."

This time, I did sigh. "That was not my intention, Miss Graham, I assure you. Mama has told me repeatedly that I do not have much to recommend myself."

"You have a sweet personality, and that will be enough for a kind, good gentleman."

I didn't want anything more than that. "I'm sure all will work out for the best."

"Of course. Miss Nelson will put you on the right course."

Only if Mama hired this Miss Nelson. All I wished for was having the entire situation dealt with that I may have some peace.

****

That evening, Mama said nothing to me about the interviews. I dined with her and Father. It was rare for us to spend a quiet evening at home, something I was more than ready for. Before Mama and I withdrew, my father announced that he was leaving in two days.

"In the middle of your daughter's season?" Mama exclaimed. "Really, Mr. Burnham and right when I must hire a new maid—"

"It's necessary, and there's nothing more to say about it," my father said, without even a glance at Mama. "Surely you do not need me to hire someone to do your hair. Didn't you make mention of young Mary taking the position?"

Startled, I glanced between them. This was the first I'd was hearing of the suggestion. "If you give me permission to advertise for a French maid—" Mama began to say.

"That would be an unnecessary expense."

Perhaps there was hope for Mary yet. Mama pouted and crossed her arms. "Really, how do you expect our daughter to make a match if she does not have the help she needs before she sets foot outside."

"I'm sure Eugenia doesn't need any help." Father sent a smile in my direction. "I trust you will make the right decision, Mrs. Burnham."

His confidence didn't seem to appease Mama in the least. She stood up and swept out of the room. Meekly, I rose from my chair and followed after her. I waited until we were in the sitting room before I asked, "Did you mean it, Mama? Mary might take the position of lady's maid?"

My mother waved her hand. "I don't wish to discuss it anymore. No one has any idea of what I must go through for this family. Play something soothing on the pianoforte, Eugenia."

With a sigh, I went to the instrument and sat down.