"Oh, there's not much to tell," he said modestly. "As any other estate has, I have my tenants. They care for the crops and livestock. I was fortunate enough to inherit from my uncle, who took excellent care of the estate. I did not have to resolve any problems, merely ensure that everything continued to run smoothly."

"What of your neighbors? Do they have the same crops and livestock as you do?"

Mr. Landon let out a laugh. "Indeed they do," he said as I sought to work out what had amused him so much. "There are not many who would show such an interest in an estate they have never seen, Miss Burnham."

Embarrassed, I turned my gaze away. "Forgive my impertinence. I've never had the opportunity to discuss such things and I find it fascinating."

"Do you? I would imagine running an estate isn't much different from what a lady must do to run a household."

Why had I never thought of that before? "You're correct, sir. There really isn't a difference."

"Will you and your mother be attending the musical soirée at the Russell's household tomorrow?" he asked, changing the subject with ease.

I searched my memories. Mama had spoken about the invitations she'd accepted for us that week, but I couldn't recall any from the Russell family. Granted, my mother had something of praise of criticism about each invitation, and often I would stop listening. To be perfectly honest, I couldn't even be sure whether I'd met the Russells or not.

"I'm not certain," I said with a rueful smile. "Mama accepts invitations for us."

Disappointment appeared in his eyes. "Of course. Well, perhaps we will meet there."

Mama called for his attention. Standing up, the gentleman gave me one last smile and then focused on my mother. He remained only a few minutes more and then took his leave.

For some reason, the room seemed a little darker once he walked out.

****

A distant cry of anger pulled me from my thoughts. Heaving a sigh, I closed my book and went to the door of the schoolroom. It wasn't long before my sisters, Calliope and Daphne, came racing into view. I caught them both by their arms.

"What have you done now?"

Daphne lifted her dancing brown eyes to mine. "Whyever would you think we've done something?" she asked, struggling in vain to keep her expression serious. "Callie and I were just playing hide and seek."

"And who, exactly, were you hiding from?"

My sisters exchanged quick looks. "Miss Graham," Daphne said, her face brightening. "She is the one hiding right now, and we must find her."

"Is that so? Then, why is it that Miss Graham left on a walk no more than fifteen minutes ago?"

Even faced with proof of their lies, my sisters wouldn't let it get them down. "Well, that proves why we couldn't find her," Calliope said with a broad smile. "We didn't put a limit on where she could hide, you see. She is the best hider, don't you think, Eugenia?"

"What did you do to Miss Evans?" I asked, tired of playing their game.

Both of them twisted their expressions into ones of disbelief and offense. "Has something happened to Miss Evans?" my youngest sister asked, her tone innocent. "I had no idea."

"If not Miss Evans, one of the other maids then."

Calliope put her hands behind her back. "Has something happened?"

How I wished Miss Graham was there to take charge of them. She was the only one capable of reining them in, which was a sad realization. Our father was not around enough to do so, and Mama had no interest in being in their company.

"I am not deaf. I heard a scream just now, and it came from where Miss Evans and the other maids sleep," I said, mustering up as much sternness as I could. I tightened my grip on both of their arms. "Now. Tell me what you did, or I shall hold you here until Miss Graham returns. You can be sure she will get the truth out of you."

Daphne heaved a long, drawn-out sigh. "You're making too much of it! We simply left a surprise for Miss Evans on her table."

Why was I not surprised to hear this? "What kind of surprise?"

The girls paused long enough in their attempt to giggle and exchange glances. "Oh, just a surprise. It's not important."

"Oh, isn't it? You both are impossible." It was difficult to hold them both still when they were fighting to get free. "You are old enough to know better than to make mischief. What did Miss Evans do to deserve such treatment?"

"She's so high and mighty," said Calliope with derision. "We didn't hurt her a bit. Come, Daphne. Let's see if we can find something to eat in the kitchen."

I watched them run off together. As their sister, I had little control over them, however much I tried to keep them out of trouble. Since Miss Graham had come into the house, five years previous, Daphne and Calliope had improved, but they were still incorrigible.

Shaking my head, I returned to the schoolroom. I knew I was too old for the room, but it felt like a sanctuary where I could be myself. Was I clinging to my childhood? Perhaps, but who could blame me?

Mama expected me to make a good match, something I'd known since I was ten years old. What had come as a surprise was that such a marriage was necessary so I could then help my sisters make good matches. My sisters' futures depended on me, and I wasn't sure I wanted that responsibility.

Why did it come to me? Couldn't they make their own matches when they were old enough? Oh, I knew connections were important. Mama was undoubtedly doing her all to establish those for me, but why couldn't she maintain those friendships -though 'friendship seemed too intimate a term for those Mama conversed with-until Calliope and Daphne came of age?

Or did Mama simply not want to be required to keep up the effort for all three of us.

As I retook my seat at the window, I looked out at the sky. It was filled with clouds, casting a gloomy atmosphere that suited my mood.