| Caught In A Trap |

Start from the beginning

Scaramouche watched me with an unidentifiable gaze before turning ahead and continuing his walk as if he hadn't heard a thing. He tends to do this a lot now that I've noticed. It's as if everyone and everything is too boring for him to hold his attention to it for more than 5 minutes. Well, that's what I thought anyway. Once I'd caught up with him he asked another question.

"So... You've never been able to touch anyone before?" he asked in a cautious manner.

"Well, not exactly. There used to be other human wind spirits, my friends, but they returned to the zephyrs after the Archon War because of injuries that ended their lives. With us, it was possible to almost feel what humans feel when they touch but the feeling is now long lost. After all, it was a long time ago," I explained. "Your turn to answer a question now!"

"What?" demanded Scaramouche as he whipped towards me with confusion.

"A truth for a truth, remember? So far, I've answered..." I counted on my fingers. "Four of your questions. Meaning you owe me four truths. Ready for question one?"

Before I could get a response, Scaramouche had spotted something in the distance and his expression had turned wary. Upon opening my mouth to ask a question, he lifted a single finger up to silence me before grabbing my arm and pulling me out of the dirt path we had trekked on. As he dragged us away, I followed his line of sight and was met with a rickety, wooden cottage that looked as if it had seen better days. The wooden planks had become almost black with age and dirt.

Scaramouche took his hat off and let it disappear into thin air before we crouched down behind a tree for whatever reason he believed was necessary. His hand was still holding my forearm and for some reason, I liked the solid feeling of someone else. I felt more solid and real than ever before, I felt like a human. Soon enough however, he let go and my body returned to its hollow nature taking all the warmth with him.

"The chimney. Take a look," he whispered.

I did as he suggested and picked up on a line of smoke trailing away and getting caught up in the leaves of the forest.

"I thought you said it was abandoned," I whispered back.

"Yes, well not anymore apparently," he snapped.

"So we walked all this way for nothing? Shouldn't have expected anything less from you Scaramouche," I snapped back with the same force.

He clenched his teeth, making his jaw tense as he glared at me. Only now did I realise how close we were. I could see his long lashes and his skin that held no imperfections. Without his hat, the light could really illuminate his face and I felt like he had stepped out of the shadows for the first time. Today, his eyes were the colour of dark sapphires and the red that lined them only enhanced the glow. He was undeniably attractive and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the waste of such beauty when his mouth could only produce shit.

"We aren't leaving. I'm going to get rid of whoever is inside and we are going to do exactly as I planned earlier. Understand?" he spoke through gritted teeth.

I sighed before nodding. As we watched for any movement from the house, I attempted to send or request for the nearby breezes to slip in and gather some information that might give us an advantage. Unfortunately, they came back with nothing. I frowned to myself until it was explained that the smoke from the chimney was blocking any entry and all the entrances were sealed shut. How inconvenient.

"Shall I poke my head through the wall and scare the resident into unconsciousness?"

"You can do that?" asked Scaramouche sceptically.

I grinned at him mischievously in response to which he narrowed his eyes and turned down my suggestion. He chose to remain seated here and wait for the right moment to pounce. When this moment would be, I could never know. He stopped responding to me after a minute or so of pestering him. In the end, we sat in not-so-blissful silence waiting for something or someone to show up. I slumped against the tree and sat down on the snow. I could hardly feel it anyway so it didn't bother me but Scaramouche was more reluctant to do the same.