Just as he was about to haul himself into a tree, a silver parachute floated down and landed in front of him.

A gift from a sponsor? But why now? I've been in fairly good shape with supplies, (M/N) thought as he picked it up. Maybe Shota noticed his despondency and was trying to cheer him up. Or maybe it was something to help with his ear.

(M/N) opened the parachute and found a small loaf of bread. It wasn't the fine white Capitol stuff. It was made of dark ration grain and shaped in a crescent, sprinkled with seeds. He got a flashback to Katsuki's talk about the various district breads in the Training Centre.

The bread was from District 11.

(M/N) cautiously lifted the warm loaf, wondering just how much it would have cost the people of District 11, who couldn't even feed themselves. How many would've had to go without in order to scrape up a coin for that bread.

It was meant for Wendy, no doubt about it. But instead of pulling the gift when she died, they must've authorised Shota to give it to (M/N). As a thank you? Or because, like him, they didn't like to let debts go unpaid? Either way, it was a first. Having a district gift go to a tribute who wasn't in that district.

(M/N) lifted his face. "Thank you, District 11," He said out loud. He wanted them to know that the full value of their gift had been recognised.

(M/N) climbed into a tree, high enough to be dangerous. Not for safety, but as an attempt to get as far away from the day as possible. Tomorrow, he'd make a new plan. But that night, he just wanted to sleep. He was so tired. Both mentally and physically.

The seal filled the sky not long after, the anthem beginning to play as (M/N) took tiny bites out of the bread. It was good. It reminded him of home.

He saw the boy from District 4, and Wendy. No other deaths.

Six of us left, (M/N) thought. Only six. He fell asleep soon after.

~

Normally when things were pretty bad, (M/N) would get a happy dream. A visit with his father in the woods. Eating cake with Eri on her 5th birthday. That night he got Wendy, still covered in her flowers, perched in a high tree, trying to teach (M/N) to talk to the mockingjays. There were no signs of her wounds, no blood, just a bright, happy girl. She sang songs he'd never heard before in a clear, melodic voice.

When (M/N) awoke, he was momentarily comforted, holding on to the peaceful feeling of the dream. But it quickly slipped away, leaving him sadder and lonelier than ever.

He'd lost the will to do anything but lie there, staringing unblinkingly through the canopy of leaves. For several hours, he remained there, motionless. As usual, it was the thought of Eri's anxious face watching him on the screen back home that broke him from his stupor. He sat up, made himself drink some water, and then decided to sort through the packs.

Wendy's pack held (M/N)'s sleeping bag, her nearly empty water skin, a handful of nuts and roots, a bit of rabbit, her extra socks, and her slingshot. The boy from District 4 had several knives, two spare spearheads, a flashlight, a small leather pouch, a first-aid kit, a full bottle of water, and a pack of dried fruit.

Why bother to carry food when you have such a bounty back at camp? This felt like a sign of extreme arrogance (M/N). He could only hope the rest of the Careers travelled lightly with food and would soon find themselves with nothing.

Speaking of which, (M/N)'s own supply was low. He finished off the rest of the bread and the last of the rabbit. How quickly the food seemed to disappear. All he had left were Wendy's roots and nuts, the boy's dried fruit, and one strip of beef. He needed to hunt again.