I threw myself on the bed and grabbed the pillow, resting my head on it. Pressing my lips together, I fought the urge to cry until my eyes were dry. Crying wouldn't do anything for me. I could spend the entire day crying over the fact that now there would be one-hundred of us who would be forced to leave our homes, forced to live with a master or mistress that could easily kill us with the lift of a finger.

I heaved myself out of bed and searched for a nice outfit to wear. I picked out an elegant white shirt, a black skirt, and heels. After getting dressed and putting on light makeup, I brushed my hair and curled it. Now, I looked like a different person. The makeup hid all the imperfections, resulting in a flawless appearance.

When I walked downstairs, I found my mother in the living room with Lana, playing Scrabble. My sister was seven years old, and mom said that the game helped Lana improve her writing and reading skills. It had worked so far. For a seven-year-old, Lana read and wrote above her grade level.

I made my way toward the front door, trying my best to not make a sound. Once I stepped outside, I pulled the door closed. Then, I started my job hunt. I was out all day searching; however, it was pointless. Every manager's expression changed the second I told them I had just turned eighteen. They all knew I was in the thin line of being chosen, which made it pointless for them to hire me. It was very irritating, and I was losing hope.

The last place I decided to check was the dinner that Zoe worked at. The second I walked through the door, a soft melody played. Zoe smiled as she walked toward me, a couple of menus in her hands.

"Hey."

"Hey...I was hoping to speak to Shelly?"

Shelly came from the back and glanced at the clock. "Right now we're not offering services, Kendra."

"Oh, no. I came to see if you need any help around here."

Shelly held her gaze. "I'm so sorry sweetie, but I have no positions open at the moment. You can try the restaurant—"

"They're not hiring either." By Shelly's bewildered look, I knew the restaurant owner was in deed hiring but had lied to me. "Thanks anyway."

I forced a smile as I turned to leave to stop dead in my tracks as I spotted the guard that had almost run over the kid, standing a couple of feet from me, as if waiting for something. There was another guard with dark hair speaking to him, but he had his back turned to me so I couldn't see who it was. My eyes narrowed at the fact he didn't wear the same clothes all the guards in the sector did.

Elizabeth, the other person working for Shelly, came and grabbed my arm as I watched the guards turn and head into the dinner too fast for me to catch the features of the dark-haired one.

She pulled me to the curb, a smile on her lips. "Hey, I know you really need a job. Its not much but there are many people in town who can't walk their dogs every day so maybe you can offer to do so for them until you find—"

"The guards eat at Shelly's diner?" I asked, evident curiosity in my voice. "Does Shelly serve blood?" Now, I couldn't hide my astonishment.

She laughed. "Oh, heavens no. She bloody wouldn't do such thing, but like everyone else around here, they do need to eat...We wouldn't want them starving, would we?"

"Of course not." I smiled. "Thanks for the tip. I'll try first thing tomorrow."

Elizabeth began to head back to the dinner. "Good luck."