𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 ♛ 𝐅𝐔𝐑𝐘'𝐒 𝐖𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐇

Start from the beginning

"None of us are prepared for the war, Rhaenyra," I say to her. "But it is something we must face regardless." I tell her, but she already knows this. There is no running from this fight. I lay my hand on hers, which rests on the wooden table. She stifles a sigh.

"I have decided I will not take to the sky on Syrax, for my safety, it is too vulnerable up there. I want you to go in my place. Daemon will not likely be up there, he will likely be on the ground leading the army, although I cannot be certain." She explains to me. I will do whatever I can to make sure she is safe, and if that means taking the sky alone then I will do it without a second thought.

"I know you and Xareni will put on a good fight from up there." She says, leaning back in her chair. I nod. Xareni and I haven't had long together but it's been long enough for me to know him and for him to know me in the art of battle. We will protect one another and look out for one another- that is the sort of bond a Targaryen has with their dragon.

I leave the council room after hugging Rhaenyra goodbye. I will not see her until the early hours of tomorrow, when the warships come. I take to my chambers to regain my rest. I have already alerted the knights outside my chambers I am to be awoken at moon high, therefore I will have enough time to prepare myself for the burning dawn that is to come.

Zetena helps me to unbraid my hair then draws me a warm bath. She asks if she should stay and keep my company but I politely tell her no. She needs to be with her husband and child. Everyone should be with their families now, as they know what will come tomorrow. 

          Only minutes after she has left there is a knock on the door to my chambers. I do not answer, hoping they will leave me alone. The door opens and footsteps enter. The bath chambers are tucked away in its own room, therefore I have a slight amount of privacy from the intruder.

          "Desmara?" The voice asks. Through the cracked door of the bath chambers I see Leonard. He is wearing a white tunic and dark brown pants, what he usually wears when we practice our fighting. He looks around the room, still haven't seen me.

          "I'm in the bath." I call back. I watch as a startled face takes over his face and I nearly laugh. He looks petrified. He looks to the ground, as if he's afraid he may see my naked body.

          "Rhaenyra has asked I come give you this. A pin, to where on your armor tomorrow. I apologize, I hadn't realized that you were..." He trails off in a stammer as he plays with the pin in his hands. I smile. His humor, though unmeaning, somehow lightens the weights that drag me.

          "Give it to me, then." I call back.

          He turns, slowly, to face me. His eyes drag from the floor to me as I lay in the bath with foggy water covering my body. He blinks slowly once, twice. His steps are slow and uncertain. His eyes do not leave mine. He pushes opens the doors and stands at the edge of the tub. He extends his hand and gives me the pin. I take it and sit it on the stool next to the bath.

          "She says wear it on the left side, above your heart." His voice is soft. I nod and smile at him. I don't know what comes over me. I don't know where the sudden words come from.

          "Show me where, exactly." I say, lifting myself out of the water. I stand up to him, my legs are still soaking in the water, but the rest of my body is vulnerable to his. Slowly his eyes trickle from mine down to my body. This is not how someone of my status should act unless married, or even promised, but the fear of war and death seems to do curious things to a person.