What if Tillie finds out her best friend has been fantasising about Bailey Steele, the unreachable queen bee of Huxley High?

"I'm playing with you Millie..." Tillie explains softly before turning her gaze back to the road that leads to my house. Averting my gaze, I stay silent as I try to gather my thoughts. A wave of conflicting emotions tangle in my chest.

"Millie? Can I ask you something?" My best friend questions and my heart skips a beat. Swallowing the uncomfortable ball of nerves lodged in my throat, I turn my head to face her.

"Y-Yeah, sure..." I reply from the passenger seat, my voice dropping to a whisper. Tillie doesn't take her eyes off the road, and her fingers start tapping on the steering wheel nervously.

"Would you tell me if something happened between you and Bailey?" She asks from the drive's seat and her expression turns serious, the concern lacing her voice doesn't go unnoticed. I force another breath through my lungs as her words crash over me.

I can't tell her anything yet, she isn't ready and I still need to find out what's going with me.

"W-What do you mean?" I manage to say while trying to keep my emotions at bay. Tillie and I have always been attached at the hip. She knows everything about me, and I can say the same thing about her. She's the shoulder I always cry on when needed and she's the sister I've never had. She always knows when something's wrong.

I know I should be telling her I'm potentially into girls, but I'm not ready even if, deep down, I know she would never judge me. She would be surprised at first, but she would never reject me.

"If Bailey ever hurts you, I need you to tell me. No matter how powerful she is, if she ever hurts I will—" She starts speaking nervously, and my mouth curves into a genuine smile at her words.

"I will keep that in mind but you don't need to worry, Tillie. She has been nice with me..." I cut her off to reassure her, while giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze.

Actually, she has been too nice with me...

Tillie breathes a sigh of relief as she speeds down the road. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, her eyes snap up to mine.

"Blake also needs to be careful! If he ever lays a finger on you I'll throw hands!" I add nonchalantly, breaking the silence. Tillie chuckles softly as she pulls into my driveway. Taking my seatbelt off, I quickly glance around and spot my mom's car parked in the driveway.

"To be honest, I don't think you need to worry about that. We just met each other for the project and we worked in silence. To be honest, I don't think he wanted to be there..." Tillie voices under her breath as she cuts the engine. My heart clenches painfully when a flash of pain flickers in her eyes.

"Don't you think it's weird?" My best friend adds, before I have a chance to process her words.

"I'm sorry but what are you talking about?" I answer in a whisper as Tillie's eyes zero in on me.

"This whole situation is so unexpected. I mean, it's so hard to believe I'm doing this assignment with Blake. I never thought it could happen." Tillie explains, shaking her head slightly. I swallow hard, then I nod in agreement.

"You're right. Do you think it's fate?" I question while studying my nails absently.

"Maybe...who knows? I think everything happens for a reason..." She trails off and it takes a few seconds for her words to sink in. I open my mouth to speak, but Tillie beats me to it.

"See you tomorrow?" She voices with a genuine smile on her face.

"Yeah! Thank you for dinner! Your mom never disappoints when she cooks! You're both so good to me." I reply while reaching for my school bag.