Liesel Letter 1

Dear Max,
I missed you very much last night and all the nights after you left. I sat in bed last night thinking about you and what happened to you when the sirens started to play. Mama grabbed my hand and started to head towards the shelter. As we walked out I remembered to grab my book the "Dream Carrier" and as I walked out I held it tightly in my hand. When we got to the shelter I found myself sitting next to Mama and the wall, and across from me was Rudy. Through the first few minutes Mama held my hand hard and was on the verge of tears. During that time I started to think about you and Papa. I was worried about both of you and what would happen. Were you still alive? What has become of Papa? Does he enjoy his new job? So many questions filled my head as Mama squeezed my hand.

I then picked up my book and started to read aloud; the entire room went silent and all the cries and mumbles were silenced. I never looked up to see everyone's faces but they all seemed quite enchanted by my reading. By the time I was about done with the first chapter the sirens started to get quieter. When total silence ensued, we all got up from our spots. There was no damage done from the bombs, Himmel Street was untouched by them. What enemy would want to bomb a street named after heaven? I pondered if Himmel Street would ever be attacked and how the thought of it would send my whole world crashing down.

When we got home and Mama started cooking some soup, there was a knock at the door. I opened it and standing there was Frau Holtzapfel. Mama came over and started shouting at her "Saumensch get out of my home right now, you might as well spit on my floor at this point!" Frau Holtzapfel did not look pleased with Mama but still spoke back. "I have an offer for your daughter, saumensch," she said. "I would like her to read me the book," as she pointed to my book. Mama seemed furious, "Why on earth would I have my Liesel read to you?" she asked. " I enjoyed her reading and would pay her with some tea bags and soup." I liked the offer of the tea due the fact that none of us have much money. "What am I supposed to do with tea bags, Holtzapel?" Mama questioned. "Sell the tea bags you arschloch, you can trade them for your needs."
It took Mama a few minutes to decide but she then agreed to Frau Holtzapel's offer and then shut the door on her. I then started to head down the stairs to the basement but didn't see your face peeking out of the darkness. I wanted to tell you and Papa about the offer and my reading, but neither you or Papa were at home.

Sincerely yours,
Liesel Meminger