Chapter 2

"Oh hey" Michelle 'casually' said as if she was not thinking how she wanted to be anywhere but here.

"How are you?" Matt asked, scooting closer to the girl, trying to see how close she would let him come. He missed her. He and Kelly both did. When they realized they had pushed her away with their behavior they only got more hostile towards each other. That all changed when Severide saved Casey and Herrmann and they finally came to the realization that they had to push their problems aside, fix their friendship and get their girl back.

"I'm- uh- fine." she said, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear. Blushing a bit when she realized it got loose again and Matt pushed it behind her ear while stroking her cheek. "How have you been?" she asked the two luitenants. "We've been shit without you, babe" Severide spoke, bluntly. "We're sorry about what we put you through by trying to make you choose between us, but we've solved our problems. Please just come back to us." he continued, also stepping closer to the girl, chests almost touching. "Kelly, Matt." Michelle sighed. "No, don't. I know what you're going to say and please don't say it. We love you Michelle. And we're going to show you." Matt stated determined. "We're going to get you back, love." He added, giving her a kiss on her cheek, putting his hand around her waist, making her turn red but not removing it. "Why don't we go sit with the others?" Kelly suggested, taking her hand in his and slowly guiding her and Matt towards the group of firemen who all cheered when they saw the luitenants with their girl.

Michelle was confused. She was ready to tell them that their speech wasn't enough to forgive them but Matt's determination really swayed her decision. It was so sweet that they wanted to fight for her that she couldn't find it in her to leave at that moment. So that brought her here.

"Michelle! Good to see you mrs. Luitenant" Otis joked looking at Cruz which made Cruz hand him 50 dollars. "What are you-?" Michelle started to ask when Cruz interrupted and said "Otis bet that you would get back together with them within two months. I thought it would take longer." "We're not back together" Michelle said, making Cruz take back his 50 dollar note, while Severide and Casey said "yet" at the same time, fist bumping while smirking making Michelle say "I believe I have something to say in that" making Kelly get close to her and whisper in her ear "you do, but we're going to pull out everything to get you to be our girl again." before planting a kiss right under her ear making her blush a bit again as she thought back to the kisses they would leave there when they were alone.

"Peter Mills! Come meet Ellie's daughter" Otis yelled at the candidate who quickly came towards the group. "Hey, I'm Peter. You can call me Pete if you want." "Hey Pete, I'm Michelle and may I say you look handsome in your uniform." She said, stepping away from Kelly and Matt to shake his hand, making Peter blush a bit before replying "thanks, you look beautiful. Are you-" "don't finish that sentence Mills or I'll make sure you'll never make squad." Kelly spat at the candidate, pulling Michelle back and pushing her lightly towards Matt. Matt immediately pulled Michelle on his lap while glaring at Peter. From Matt's lap, Michelle got hold of Kelly's hand and pulled him down next to her while saying "Jesus Kelly. He was just giving me a compliment." "Yeah well he doesn't know you're our girl so I just wanted to make that clear." Kelly grumbled sitting next to her with one hand on her thigh and still clenching his jaw. "I'm not your girl, Kelly." Michelle stubbornly said. This behavior was definitely not helping them to get back in her good books. "We're working on that, aren't we babe?" Matt said, defending Kelly and looking at her with his irresistible puppy dog eyes making Michelle sigh and leave it at that but not before telling Kelly to apologize to Peter making him nod and go do it.

"God Michelle, we missed you. You're the only one that can ever get him to apologize for something." Hadley laughed, making Michelle giggle a bit as she knew it was true. From there on out they all continued talking about different things, from what the girl missed while they hadn't seen her to Herrmann living with his in-laws. Gradually the barbecue came to an end and Michelle was still seated on Matt's lap. Noticing he wasn't mingling in the conversations anymore she looked at him and saw him staring at her, making her say "I'm glad you're okay, Matt. I don't what I would've done if you got hurt." She told him, kissing his cheek before squeezing Kelly's hand getting his attention and saying thanks for saving Matt before kissing his cheek as well, making them both smile. She was slowly warming up to them again.

Ellie walked towards the group and was happy to see her daughter sitting with the luitenants and smiling. It had been a while since she saw that. "I'm going home sweetheart. You coming with?" She asked her daughter. "You're my ride, so yeah let me just say bye to everyone." Michelle replied, catching the attention of both Matt and Kelly. "We can take you home if you want to stay for a bit" Kelly told her. "Yeah, we drove here as well so no problem." Matt added, slightly squeezing her waist to convince her. "I guess I'm staying mom. See you later tonight." Michelle said, making Ellie say "or you can stay with Matt and Kelly sweetheart." Ellie said, looking at Michelle and signaling towards a man her age that was obviously waiting for her, making the entire table catch on and holler making Michelle say "okay, gross. I'll find a place to stay tonight. If not I'd rather sleep under a bridge before coming home. Have fun I guess?" Michelle said, making Ellie laugh out loud as well as Matt and Kelly. "She can stay with us El, we'll take care of her." Kelly assured the woman, squeezing Michelle's thigh. "Yeah, we will" Matt added kissing the top of Michelle's head, making said girl smile and making the wall she built up crumble a lot faster than expected.