Part 1

Hello, my name is Emily Grant. It is currently December of 2023. One year ago, people from the future showed up. They said that their time was in danger and they needed our help. They said their enemy wasn't human. They said, they said, they said. The worst part is, we believed them. Not believed as if we thought they were lying, but believed as if they could protect us.  We thought that helping them would be no biggie. We would send some troops, supplies, and food. But no, it wasn't enough. They took all of our troops. Thousands and thousands of troops went, only hundreds came back. They started taking draftees. Men, Women, children, doctors, teachers, builders, everyone. In 100 people, only five would come back. 

My family was scared for me. My mother had cancer so she could not be drafted. My younger sister was only four. I am sixteen. I am the closest thing to being eligible to be drafted.  Almost every family now has given up somebody and lost them. Any day I could be drafted. I lay in bed every night, thinking that the next day I will get the message. Or the next day. Or the next.  

All of a sudden my phone buzzed. I picked it up. Check in to the local station tomorrow afternoon. Well, I knew it was coming anyway. My only regret is I have to go to school first.