eventually they all crawled into their futons and went to sleep. naību was right, she was sandwiched in between marcos and iwaizumi. their arms wrapped around her as their hands were connected, foreheads touching as they closed their eyes and fell asleep.

oikawa took one last glance at tsuyoi, seeing him still awake. and it pained him for some reason. he sighed, facing away and shutting his eyes. trying to sleep so he would stop thinking of the male.

tsuyoi knew everyone fell asleep. he turned his head and glanced at all of them, smiling as they looked peaceful. he looked at oikawa, his face softened for the briefest moment. he pulled his eyes away, going back to his phone and turning up the volume slightly on the calming music he was playing.

but he couldn't sleep, he tossed and turned. he eventually was facing the four sleeping people, eyes casted down, head slightly touching the phone that's faced down on his pillow.

it started to thunder, the rain hitting the glass was even more relaxing. but it was too late as his body felt wide awake.

it was 2:18am.

he could not sleep. he felt he would never be able to sleep. he closed his eyes, listening to the rain and to his music, hoping sleep would fall upon him.

oikawa was gripping onto his blanket. he was antsy in his sleep, his heart beating rapidly. he opened his eyes and gasped, holding onto his shirt. he had a nightmare, but he couldn't remember what it was about. he hadn't had a nightmare that fearful in so long.

he jumped when he heard thunder, his body shaking slightly. he took a deep breath, trying to calm down, but thunder struck again and he jumped. he didn't know why he was jumpy, he rather liked thunderstorms. maybe it was because he had a nightmare and was on edge.

he looked around, he didn't want to wake iwaizumi for comfort, after all, he looked rather happy in his sleep. he looked at tsuyoi, biting his lip as he wasn't sure.

he jumped again at the sound of the thunder, and he was sure then. he quickly got up, stumbling and doing his best to avoid the bodies lying on the floor.

he almost slipped as he went next to tsuyoi, covering his ears, having his body touch tsuyoi's, he tried to control his shaking. not wanting to wake the male, who he thought was sleeping, but it was something about his body that wouldn't let him relax.

tsuyoi opened his eyes when he felt another body pressed against him. he was confused when he saw the familiar fluffy brown hair underneath his gaze. but he came to a realization when he looked over his body to see him covering one side of his ears with the his pillow and the other with his hand. and he felt the male shaking.

before tsuyoi could comfort him, another thunder struck, this time louder than before. it caused oikawa to remove the hand from his ear and to his mouth to cover up a squeak or a whimper.

oikawa's eyes were shut tight.

but in a mere matter of seconds they snapped open when he felt an earbud slip in his ear and the sound of a piano playing into his ear. and he felt the blanket tsuyoi was using being draped over him.

he glanced up to see tsuyoi on his phone, probably on social media since it looked as if he were scrolling.

~~

"aw, oh my gosh, that's so cute!" tasha squealed.

"tsu-chan! did you really have to tell them about this part?! it's embarrassing."

tsuyoi glanced at oikawa, the single glance holding every ounce of love towards the shorter male. "it's apart of our history. i can't just leave it out."

"i hate this new you. you should go back to being a jerk. jerk you wasn't cheesy."

"okay, i have no problem-"

"kidding! i thought you were going to kill me, back in high school."

tsuyoi faced away from oikawa, a gentle smile on his face. "i could never. now, let me carry on."

~~

tsuyoi felt his gaze, finally looking away from his phone. making eye contact with brown eyes. he noticed the glint behind them.

"you didn't wake me." he softly said, but oikawa heard it loud and clear, "i was already awake." he handed his phone to oikawa, "pick a song. or a melody. something to distract your mind."

oikawa reached out for his phone. hands trembling. still not understanding why he felt so scared. he buried his forehead in tsuyoi's chest, eyes still looking at the phone as he typed in fear no more by building 429.

when he was handing the phone back to tsuyoi, the male refused. "if you have other songs you want to listen to, you can type it in. or if you want to go on an app, you can."

oikawa was beyond confused. "why are you comforting me?" he didn't mean to ask that, he was afraid tsuyoi would shut down.

~~

"did you know, originally i was going to say 'because i care about you?'" tsuyoi said, turning his head and crossing his arms as he looked at oikawa.

"why didn't you?" oikawa pouted, "that would've been nice to know."

tsuyoi laughed, putting his hands on his thighs. "in a way, i sort of did. besides, where's the fun in that? if i verbally told you, it would've been a dick move to continue and tease you at school."

"it still was." he mumbled.
~~

"because you need someone."

before oikawa could respond, a flash of lightning lit up the living room for a split second. due to the surprise of it, oikawa dropped tsuyoi's phone in between them. wrapping his arms around tsuyoi's neck. hiding himself more.

he felt tsuyoi's arm go around his lower back, pulling them together as their bodies were pressed against each other. he shifted when he felt tsuyoi's phone digging into his skin, it was like tsuyoi knew because he grabbed his phone and put it back on his pillow, above his head. his hand then went back to oikawa's lower back, other hand going into the male's hair as he ran his fingers through it.

slightly massaging oikawa's scalp, and that's when the male finally relaxed. but his heart was beating a million miles per second, liking the touch of tsuyoi.

tsuyoi leaned down to oikawa's free ear -with no ear bud in it- "it's alright." he whispered, "i'm right here."

oikawa visibly felt himself relax. and he felt tired, sleep easily came to the shorter male.

tsuyoi looked at oikawa's sleeping face. humming at the peace he saw. his hand removed itself from oikawa's hair, going to cup his cheek.

"goodnight, tooru." he mumbled, putting his hand around oikawa's middle back. resting his forehead against the sleeping male's forehead.

he closed his eyes, feeling the fatigue wash over him.

he never thought he would be able to fall asleep, but he did.

and we have a certain volleyball captain to thank for that.