𝐎𝐍𝐄 ♛ 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆

Start from the beginning

ㅤ"Maybe. Or maybe she'll be such an amazing ruler that no one will have a word to say." I mutter. My mother lets out a soothing, slow laugh. I wasn't exactly trying to be amusing, but nonetheless it's a fascination to hear her laugh, even if it's just sarcasm. She smiles, sometimes, but she never laughs, even if something is funny. I'm not sure why that is.

ㅤShe lifts her legs out of the water and places her feet on the edge of the tub. "Oh Desmara, darling, what a creative little thing you are." She takes the cloth from my hand with a gentle grin and wrings it out over the tub. She then dunks it under the water and begins running it down her leg. I watch quietly from my spot on the floor. She always does things with such grace and precision. I hope one day I can have just as much beauty and grace as she does.

ㅤI lay out her nightgown then leave the bath chambers to the bedroom. We share our room in the corner of the house. It's small, but I don't mind it. After we've blown out all the candles for the night we crawl into bed next to one another and just lie there still. I listen to her breathing and then try and match my breaths to hers. Once we're in harmony I find myself easily drifting off into sleep. I feel at peace when I'm around her. A mothers warmth is always like a radiating furnace.

ㅤShe comes through the doorway and strides over to the windowsill where she blows out the flickering candles. She climbs into the bed next to me lays on her back then crosses her arms over her chest, like she always does. I copy her, like I always do. I allow my eyes to fall closed and my mind to make up little stories in my head about this and that.

* * *

WINTER HAS TAKEN over the land. I can see the blanket of snow from where I stand in the sky. My hands are folded in front of me, resting against my gown. There's a sword strapped to me, it jolts out from my waist. There's a sash crossing over my body. It's dark red, the exact color of house Targaryen. When I breathe the air is fresh and cool, it seems to open up my lungs instead of close them.

ㅤWhen I turn there is an army behind me, stretched out across an endless field of snowy grass. Bodies of knights are scattered everywhere and thick, crimson blood has been spilled for as far as the eye can see. I look out among my knights, each of them wearing the same red sash along their body. I feel pride in that moment.

ㅤI look up, through the breaking clouds to see the scales of a dragon bolting down. The dragon's muscles ripple beneath it's turquoise skin as it ascends back down to the ground. I raise my hand to the sky, two fingers. My lips part to say something. I feel something roaring in my chest.

ㅤ"Da-"

* * *

"I'LL BE BACK a bit earlier tonight. Dadelia is taking the rest of my shift since she hasn't worked the other night." The soft voice whispers into my ear. I slowly open my eyes to see my mom standing next to the bed. She's wearing her dirt ridden apron over her clothes. Her hair is braided and pulled back as it usually is. She's standing against the window. The suns flooding in, illuminating her. She looks so beautiful.

ㅤShe bends down and gives me a gentle kiss on the forehead. Her touch lingers long after she leaves. I find myself climbing out of bed later than I usually might. I had tried to close my eyes time and time again in order to fall back asleep and go back to my dream, but I couldn't do it.

ㅤI change into my soiled brown dress and comb my snow-white hair back. Usually I'd braid it but I can't be bothered when it's already so late. I go through the back door and make my way down the alleys to where Dayron is usually practicing with his brother and father. I find him there, of course, wearing a chest-plate and wielding his grandfather's sword. He sees me and beams a smile. Whilst his head was tuned, his older brother smacks him on the side of the head with his sword. Dayron staggers, but he doesn't fall.