Quidditch - Wizarding Sport

Start from the beginning

Marcus Flint

Beaters:

For Gryffindor:

Andrew Kirke

Fred Weasley

George Weasley

Jimmy Peaks

For Hufflepuff

Anthony Rickett

Maxine O'Flaherty

Michael McManus

For Ravenclaw:

Duncan Inglebee

Jason Samuels

For Slytherin:

Gregory Goyle

Lucian Bole

Peregrine Derrick

Vincent Crabbe

Keepers:

For Gryffindor:

Cormac McLaggen

Oliver Wood

Ron Weasley

For Hufflepuff:

Herbert Fleet

For Ravenclaw:

Breenan Doyle

Andre Egwu

Grant Page

For Slytherin:

Miles Bletchley

Kevin Bletchley

Seekers:

For Gryffindor:

Charlie Weasley

Ginny Weasley

Harry Potter

For Hufflepuff:

Cedric Diggory

Summerby

For Ravenclaw:

Andrew Egwu

Cho-Chang

Gilderoy Lockhart

For Slytherin:

Regulus Black

Terence Higgs

Draco Malfoy

Harper

However, before the game could start, every player had to have a few standard things to ensure their protection, such as a Quidditch helmet, goggles, shin, knee, arm guards, and gloves. Furthermore, different positions also require different equipment, e.g., Beaters carry bats to beat Bludgers back, something none of the other positions does. All players also had to abide by official rules set for the game to avoid fouls and make the game much safer. 

Those rules are as follows:

Players must not wander off from the Quidditch field's line boundary, however, they can fly as high as they wish;

If a player does wander or leave the field's line, then the opposite team gain possession of the Quaffle;

The team captains may call out for 'time out' anytime they want, and this time out can extend to two hours depending on how long the players have played;

However, if the players don't return to the field on time after the 'time out' is over, the team will be disqualified;

Contact between players is allowed, but a player can't take hold of the other player's broomstick or grab onto their body;

The players can't be substituted throughout the game;

Wands are allowed to be taken on the pitch, but they can't be used in any form to disrupt the game, cheat or attack others, including the opposite team's players, their broomsticks, the referee or any of the balls used to play the game;

A game of Quidditch will only end in two cases: 1. The Seeker has caught the Golden Snitch or 2. Both team captains have come to a mutual agreement to end it;

Only the Keeper can block quaffle shots by the opposing team. In case of a penalty, only a Keeper can protect the goals while the opposite team's player shoots.

Quidditch World Cup

The Quidditch World Cup is the wizarding world's most important sporting competition, where various professional Quidditch teams compete against each other round after round until the finals, where a winner takes the cup.

This includes teams from Argentina, Australia, Bulgaria, Brazil, England, France, India, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Morocco, The Nordic Team, Peru, Scotland, Spain, Transylvania, United States, etc, that draw matches against one another and play until two teams make it to the finals.

Those who wish to watch their favorite teams play can travel by various means to a selected campsite which is hidden by muggles and contains long rows of tents which at first glance may seem ordinary, but is charmed inside to be more spacious and accommodate those who go to watch the Quidditch World Cup. The game, however, takes place in the stadium, which is magically constructed to fit all these people inside and to give the players enough space for the game. Through magical means, the view of the game is transmitted to the viewers who cheer their favorites as much as they can!

It's interesting to note that there are a few differences in how Quidditch is portrayed in the books and movies. For example, in the movies, there is no pitch boundary rule where players can be seen flying beyond it and not getting fouled. The balls also are slightly different, for example, in the books, the Quaffle is a perfect sphere, but the movie and games' versions have four large indentations around its surface. Buldgers, on the other hand, in the books, are only two inches smaller than the Quaffle, but in the movies, they appear to be much smaller. 

A few more facts regarding Quidditch

The sport of Quidditch got its name from 'Queerditch March', the location of the first ever recorded Quidditch game.

The record for the longest-held Quidditch match, according to Quidditch Through the Ages, is 6 months!

Quidditch is actually not the first or only game played on a broomstick! It can be said that the Quidditch known today is a melting pot of various local and foreign broomstick-based games such as Stichstock, Aingingein, Creaothceann etc.

The original starting names for the Quidditch positions and the sport itself, were much different in the beginning. For example, Quidditch was known as 'Kwidditch/Cuaditch' Chasers were called 'Catchers', while Seekers were called 'Hunters' before the terms evolved and changed.

The first Golden Snitch used in a Quidditch game was actually a real bird! Known as a Golden Snidget, this bird was hunted and used in broomstick-themed games until it was declared as a protected species and replaced with the snitch we know today.

It is illegal to play the sport within one hundred miles of a Muggle town or anywhere in that perimeter where a muggle could be watching. Those who break this law can even land in jail.

There are believed to be seven hundred Quidditch fouls listed in the Department of Magical Games and Sports records, though the entire list was never made public to avoid giving witches and wizards 'funny ideas'!

During the final game of the 1473 World Cup, all seven hundred fouls were committed! This includes: transfiguring a chaser into a polecat, setting fire to an opponent's broom tail, and attacking an opponent with weapons such as a club or axe.

Due to the size and activity on the Quidditch field, fans usually use Binoculars and Omnioculars to watch the game better.

There is a real-life game of Quidditch, inspired by the series, called Ground Quidditch or Muggle Quidditch.

Question:
What Hogwarts House would you represent, and which position would you play?