In Her Daughter's Eyes

"Atty. Woo Young Woo!" Tae Su-Mi called out from beneath the staircase going to the upper floor of the building. She tried calling her again but there was no answer. For the short span of time she had known the young attorney, she found out that she is someone who does not pull pranks towards other people. She's frank and is not afraid to speak her mind. "Young Woo? Atty.Woo!"

When no one answered, she climbed the remaining steps and pressed on the doorbell.

"Atty. Tae Su Mi? Why—-why did you come in here?" Young Woo's frightened voice made her turn around and see the young lawyer on the stairs looking at her with bulged eyes.

"I thought you were inside. Where did you go?" She said feeling the worry welling inside her as Young Woo struggled to climb the remaining steps, swiftly, she helped her until she reached the landing. Young Woo flinched at the physical contact but she insisted on holding her.

Young Woo opened the door and closed her eyes briefly counting from one to three before entering the house. Su-Mi found this amusing and cute. The house is nothing compared to the luxury of her home, there is limited space but it's comfy and warm. Framed pictures hanging on the wall, mostly Young Woo. Taken on childhood days, eating ice cream in the park, pouting on the playground, in her high school uniform, graduation photos and her certificate of passing the BAR with flying colors and many more.

She missed all those things in her daughter's life. First step, first word and many firsts. She thought she was prepared for that but everything was all an act of pretension until now. And many nights, she spent wondering what it would be like if she had not given her up. Would she have been happier?

"Please have a seat. Would you...would you like some coffee?" Young Woo offered but actually didn't mean it. Young Woo learned that it's customary to offer guests refreshments and she's just being polite right now.

"I would love to have coffee, but only if you allow me to take liberty in your kitchen, I prefer to make my own cup." Su-mi said seriously. In her mind, Young Woo is injured, thus, not fit to do such chores.

Young Woo was surprised by this but since she perfectly understands that it's the best option considering that she is not yet well enough and even if she is in perfect health, it would take some time just to prepare a single cup of coffee.

She watched Su-Mi in indubitable admiration that this amazing attorney who grew up with the proverbial silver spoon in her mouth is preparing two cups of coffee in a shabby kitchen. "How would you like your coffee?"

Young Woo's mouth fell open and shook her head to gather her thoughts. "What?"

"Would you like me to add a sweetener, a creamer maybe?"

"Yes, with sugar and with whipped cream." She answered. Su-Mi glanced sideways to look at her and smiled upon seeing Young Woo's delighted expression. Hiding her smile, she opened the refrigerator and searched for a whip cream. The fridge is loaded with veggies and other nutritious foods and drinks, this proves that Gwang-Ho takes great care of Young Woo.

Her belief that Woo Gwang-Ho is a good person and will be a responsible father was what convinced her to push through with the pregnancy. And she was right. Her instincts never failed her.

"Here you go." She said and placed the drinks in front of Young Woo. Watching her daughter, it reminded her of how Sang-hyeon was when he was younger. And this brings sudden joy in her heart how her children are very much alike.

Awkward moments ensued. For two people who have so much to ask about the other, have run out of words at this very moment. It was really nice when they both looked at the hackberry tree in the hill of Dongbu Village, they were at ease with each other not knowing about their real connection.